St. Michaels, Maryland Anchorage or Dockage on San Domingo C

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Root
skipper
skipper

St. Michaels, Maryland Anchorage or Dockage on San Domingo C

Post by Root »

We live in the Smith Point area and are planning mini cruise for July. Is there a backdoor entrance to St Michaels? We can see the potential of getting there via San Domingo Creek and walking into town that way. We just don’t want to waste time going all the way up to the Miles River to get t there. Ray
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: St. Michaels, Maryland Anchorage or Dockage on San Domingo C

Post by Page 83 »

I've sailed in and out of St Michaels several times on Page 83. In fact I had the best ride ever coming out on a screaming reach, passing my arch nemesis in the club who was flying every scrap of sail he owned. I've also run aground on what was once an ancient Oyster Shell Mound. Nolite spurios te contundere.*

Once in the area you can find a mooring or go further up the river to a very quiet and well protected creek with a cut that's perfectly dinghy sized for a cheaper visit.

*Proper latin for "don't let those little bugger grind on you." This is the elitist version of "Non illegimatus carborundum"
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I went to St Michaels via San Domingo Creek in a 25 ft monohull with 18" draft in 1982. Had no problems but do not know how a 3 ft draft would do. There was a dock we tied up to.. watch out for the tidal range at the dock. Don't remember much else... CRS is taking over..
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we stopped there about 3 years ago in our 34. 3' was no problem and we went almost all the way in. there is a sand bar on the port side way in that is exposed at low tide. tide is minimal except if strong wind from the north. we spent 3 nights waiting out a strong front. wind protection is very good. town is a short flat walk. there is a dinghy dock/bulkhead but it gets shallow at lowtide.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Been there many times, for that purpose. The walk is only a few blocks.

There is NO dockage on the creek. There is a commercial dock, but using the deep portion in a recreational boat is very rude. Men work there. You can easily anchor in any number of coves 1/4 to 1/2 mile downstream and there is a public dingy landing by the dock. this post is about one such trip, when I had a Stiletto and no tender.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2009/ ... 08-my.html

It's nice. Do it. Also visit James Island, for the desert island expereince. It's deeper than it shows (east side, but go carefully).
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Stayed here overnight on Fathers Day.
Went all the way up the creek to the last two markers within about a mile of the dingy dock. Had 6 ft or better all the way to, and at, the anchorage.
Manson Supreme anchor held firm first time we set it. Backed it down hard after letting it settle for a few minutes and we didn't budge. Short 5 minute dingy ride to the dingy dock and another 5 minute walk to lots of good restaurants. I heard 4 or 5 crab boats go by in the early morning (4 AM) but that was it and they kept wakes down.

Lots of boats were anchored about a half mile south of us. With our skinny water PDQ, we were all alone in a very peaceful spot. If you like quiet, this is the way to see St Michaels.