Hairline cracks on A/C strainers.

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Hairline cracks on A/C strainers.

Post by Mishigas »

I noticed on my aft A/C strainer that some crazing is occuring on the clear bowl :x . This has happened two years ago and I am wondering why this is occuring again. I am careful not to overtighten and I check it often. Has this happened to anyone here? Any idea what gives? I am going to replace the bowl again but have to wonder why.
Regards, Sandy K. MV "Mishigas"
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Hairline cracks on A/C strainers.

Post by duetto »

hi sandy,

a while back someone suggested to me to put the swimming pool tablets in the strainer to eliminate algae & other critters. it did do that but it also crazed the plastic bowl. so i stopped. haven't had the problem since.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Thanks John, I have never placed clorine tablets or any other additive in the strainers. Someone told me once that they thought that the Non-Tox antifreeze we use to winterize may contribute to this issue but I cant' confirm why that would be. Guess I'll just located another strainer and see how long it lasts. Was hoping for some solutions or recomendations for a different strainer. I dont like the idea that my plastic strainer bowl cracks so easy and if it broke open it could in fact flood the boat. :evil:
Sandy K MV "Mishigas"
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

sandy,

groco makes a robust replacement, albeit expensive.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Yes, the PG certainly can contribute to that. Try regular AF (ethylene glycol) instead, which is MUCH less prone to causing that. Or better, flush with AF and them drain. Although PG is less toxic to people than EG, there is NO difference to marine organism; that is urban legend.

This post will tell you more about AF than you wanted to know, plus back-up for the above assertions.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2009/ ... e-and.html
It will also show where some of the pricing rip-offs are.

(I'm in the antifreeze and ethylene glycol productions business. Additionally, I designed and built the largest AF recycling plant in the US, in Richmond, VA.)
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Anyone have a part replacement for the AC strainer bowls and filters?

I read this off the bowl but am uncertain brand/model, etc. and don't see anything popping up on Google.

PM Strainer 75
PM-Strainer w/ bracket 3/4" FPT
SO#058689 S/N 54172274

Thanks,
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com