Inverter Charger selection

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Inverter Charger selection

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

I need to replace my Prosine 2000 inverter/charger. Xantrex is pushing the new model Freedom 3000. I am researching the Magnum 2000.
Any opinions, thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Inverter Charger selection

Post by duetto »

hi rich,

i just installed the magnum charger/inverter and so far it is working well on both the charger and inverter side. their support (via phone) was outstanding. with that said we have a victron on our pdq, which directly replaced a prosine, and i highly recomend that also. i did the replacement 4 years ago and we live on the boat 6 months and it has performed flawlessly since.

i guess i'm torn...both are good products, with good support.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Hi John
Thanks for the info . I had never heard of the Victron but will check it out today.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Just curious, but what happened that you had to replace it? I pay no attention to my charger, as long as it's working. I have an 18 YO Trace.
Marc
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Hi Marc
I have had this ProSine 2000 for 7 years, but I had a leak at the helm and it got wet ;-(
I came back to the boat after leaving it for a year and it didn't work. Minimum $90 service fee for the dealer to check it out and 100 miles of driving.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi marc,

we had to replace 2 over a period of 2+ years. one failed outright on the inverter side and the other got flakey on the charger side. i believe based on web searches that they had 2 problems: 1) overheating because it was on the ceiling of the locker in stb stateroom under the driver's seat 2) fundamental flaw in circuit board design, which was redesigned on later units. also, xantrex was very paranoid about cable sizes and lengths and i think the 34 is right on the limit.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Just curious - we have a standard 3 bank charger and I'd like to go to a Charger inverter setup - I saw an article about newer "smart" inverters that could pull a startup load off the battery bank to compensate for an undersized power supply. For example running a 16,000 BTU AC unit from a small Honda 2000 through the inverter - the running load from the AC is about 8A, but startup can jump over 15A. Just curious if such a beast really exists - where it can buffer the load using the inverter side.

We have an older Honda EX-1000 now and would be willing to upgrade to the EU 2000i which is about the same footprint with twice the capacity. There are nights that it would be nice to be able to coold down on the hook.
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

We have a Honda 2k and it will just start and run our 20k btu AC. If we want to charge or run the microwave we hook up our second Honda with homemade parallel cables.
If you will be running the AC while you sleep make sure you have a CO detector running.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi mike,

this is in response to your question about "smart" inverters. the victron which we have is one of these. it can be configured to sense loads (eg. ac startup, electric oven cycling, etc) which might be more than the genset or shorepower can handle. it draws power from the battery bank and adds it to the shorepower/genset power. after the load passes the inverter shifts back to charger mode and replaces the energy just used. we have a 4.2Kw entec genset and this feature does help when big loads come on line.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

I knew I had read about this technology - but couldn't remember the details - really seems like a natural evolution for marine inverters. As for big loads we've managed to keep our 36 to 30A shore power and rarely exceed a 20A load - and we've been living aboard 4 days a week for the last 5 years. But we are looking forward to taking more short trips and Linda's leave window is in August, and around the Chesapeake it can be pretty balmy - so having an AC option on the hook would be nice without adding a large gen-set.

We'll have to look into the Victron - really appreciate the info.

Mike

FYI: We finally found the solution for low draw winter heat with E-heat panels (5 of them will maintain the boat while we are at work on a 18A load - 2 small and 2 regular size. We also cycle the battery charger with a timer and use the propane cabin heater when we get home to warm things up (the cold plate doesn't have to work as hard).

AT:Thanks for the reminder about CO - our little gen set lives on deck when it runs - so far it's longest runs have been for Xmas lights in the boat parade :)
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

The Dometic Smart Start is made especially for this.

http://mamtstore.corecommerce.com/Smart-Start.html

Marc