Roll Call: how well did you survive Irene

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Roll Call: how well did you survive Irene

Post by Page 83 »

I hauled both cats becasue I lost my Simpson 34 in Isabel. I haven't checked either one yet this morning, but I will. How well did your PDQ survive Irene?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: Roll Call: how well did you survive Irene

Post by Mishigas »

Hi Sandy, we did just fine. Boat is docked in Selby Bay and the surge was virtually non existent. Stayed at the marina to work lines and rescued a few boats with broken lines, etc.. High wind, rain but we did just fine with no damage whatsoever. We were very lucky. Hope your boat did as well. Regards, Sandy Kramer MV MISHIGAS
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

All A-OK in Deale, MD ...dock owner adjusted lines and fenders for me during the storm
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Both boats fine, but I was shocked to see the zincs on Siesta's saildrive. One isn't even six months old and needs replacement.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

We have a little water in the bilge - probably a window leak. Otherwise, we are just fine. Middle River, MD
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Sandy,

Both house and boat did OK - Thomas Pt. Light reported 65Kt + winds Saturday night (Selby Bay seems to funnel those gusts). Our second story deck is attached to the house but the ends just set on the roof, on a few of the heavier gusts we heard it lightly clunk on the roof (glad Irene arrived downgraded). We walked out on the docks at Holiday Point around 7:30pm and the front rows were hobby horsing such that we could see both keels and props - luckily the water never rose so it was just wind and rollers. Damages there were limited to a few shredded roller headsails. II the Max was safe on the Potomac - prepped for the worst that never showed up in DC (Capital Yacht Club is on the same power feed that services a number of the gov't buildings and the White House so power is pretty reliable there). In Selby we lost power about Midnight Saturday and it was back on about 8:30 Sunday. Heard that Woodland Beach never lost power - go figure...
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Just clean.

Found a fishing charter's sign in the water next to my boat and called the number on the sign. He was grateful.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

No damage to any of the boats. I saw a few gusts to 60kts in Fishing Creek at about 2am (just inshore of Thomas Point Light). It was a noisy night with the wind howling over the deck as i tried to sleep. Some neighboring boats did not fare as well. Once broke off its mooring and on unfurled it Genny.

One idea I had, that I liked was to use a heavy duty tie down strap across the hard top and solar panels to hold them down in the high wind. It worked well and I felt better that the panels would stay put.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Susan and I faired well in the storm. The eye passed about 40 mi east of us. We had storm winds from 4 am till 8 pm Water surge of about 9 ft... which put about 10 inches in my bottom floor. TK III was on the hard down near Oriental and had no damage. We just got power last night.... a honda 2000 is a good investment....
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108