Window replacement on 1993 36

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
next exit
skipper
skipper

Window replacement on 1993 36

Post by next exit »

It seems that the fixed windows were installed using 1/16' butyl tape which I have been unable to source. Anyone use other methods or a source for the tape?
Don Wilson
Next Exit
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: Window replacement on 1993 36

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Don,
I thought folks used Butyl Caulk not the tape. You can get that at Grainger or MacMaster Carr or any RV service place. I will see if I can find a source for the tape also.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Don,

We use to use butyl tape at PDQ on the port lights and deck hatches, but don't remember using it on the fixed salon windows. For that we used Silpruf in the early years and then switched to Sikaflex with the appropriate primer and cleaner. I get my butyl tape thru Tremco, kicker is they usually have a minimum 500 ' order.

James
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

I was thinking Sikaflex also but when I took the window out, in pieces, it looked as if the sealant was in 2 strips around the base.

James, if only you and Jackie would come to Fla in Nov. so many of my problems would be solved.
Don Wilson
Next Exit
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Sunshine »

Don,
I've had good success with 2" Butyl Tape from the Mobile Home Parts Store (mobilehomepartsstore.com). The product code is: 403320, It is black 2" butyl tape 30' long. The link is listed below:

http://search.mobilehomepartsstore.com/ ... mit=Search

Bill
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Don,

Florida in November is looking pretty good right now. We are into our second blizzard of the season.... I'm guessing that you will be back in the Islands by the time we get down. If you have any window install questions give me a shout, as I have a few tips.

James
772-678-2268