Sailing Music

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Sailing Music

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Not sure we have talked about sailing music in the past but I thought I would pass this along. Gina and I have an internet radio station we call Songwriters Island and we play all original music, dedicated to the singer/songwriter/storyteller. A large portion of the music is tropical, sailing, beaches, bars, etc. Kind of a merge of Buffett, Jack Johnson, Kenny Chesney, and Zack Brown. If you want some new music while you are sailing, give it a try and tell us what you think. Be sure to listen for a while, there is a huge variety of styles in rotation. We play only originals, no covers. We stream 24/7. You can find us at:

http://www.songwriters-island.com

Or download the Tunein Radio app for Android and iPhone and find us at Songwriters Island.

Tell us what you think.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Re: Sailing Music

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Good to know, Sam. Bandwidth is sort of expensive down here but, as soon as we are back in Indiana in the summer, we'll certainly tune you in. It should give us the sailing fix we need when we're away from the boat. We do use Tune In on our Droids and like it a lot.

All the best to you and Gina.

Phil
s/v Sunshine
Roatan, Honduras
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Hey Thanks Sam,

I'll definately bookmark it. If you get up to the Chesapeake we'll have to get together and play some tunes... I just bought a Tascam USB interface and am starting to learn about DAW recording \ mixing - total newbie - played around with Audacity a little, now I may graduate to Cubase (it came with the interface). Last time I did any serious recording was with a 4-track reel to reel.

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Nice, I would like to talk about your setup. We are preparing to do live broadcasts of small venue events coming up soon.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Sure no problem. I'll probably start playing around with it this weekend...

Musicians Friend had the Tascam 122L unit on clearance for $49.99 with free shipping. It's been superceded with a newer model - the 122L works with Apple, XP, and Vista. http://tascam.com/product/us-122/overview/

I would think that for live broadcasts you might want to use a regular mixing board to get your sound and take a stereo line out to the interface. The analog to digital conversion is cleaner through the interface and should output a stronger signal to your computer (much better than an onboard sound card). The 122L is pretty basic but hard to beat at that price.

Good luck,

Mike

FYI: I'm not sure if the website is blocked at my office (or just offline) - each time I've checked it shows offline.
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Mike,
We have been recording and broadcasting right off the Bose L1 Model II with tonematch engine. Sweet USB out to computer and then to the Shoutcast server.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Sam:

Is the boat version of http://www.pdq36.com/ gone forever?

Say it ain't so.

Phil
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Ha ha... :D

The rubber pads for the base of your speaker stand cost more than my Tascam unit... congrats that's a really great system. I'm in the stoneage in comparison (hopefully not for long). Apparently Cubase 4 has a lot of features over Audacity (including a steep learning curve).

Looking froward to catching some of your stuff online,

Cheers
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

So true about the cost but that is the gig system that a lot of these guys are using and the USB out requires almost no post processing at all. You can hear some on the station, listen for Kelly McGuire's live tracks.

As for the web payer, it should work fine, may be blocked at work. Try it from home or DL the tunein app for smartphone.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Will do...
Mike & Linda