Med Mooring

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
amytom
admiral
admiral

Med Mooring

Post by amytom »

Just spent sometime in BVI; flying not sailing :( ; I noticed quite a few of the piers were set up for Med Mooring only.

Anyone have advice on doing this with a PDQ? I've never tried it and thought I would give it a shot this weekend.

Tom
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: Med Mooring

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Most of the places where we have seen this done have mooring balls set in front that you attach to and then back in stern-to the dock. They also frequently have a marina tender come out to assist with this. We needed to do this last July in Grenada and found it quite easy. Fortunately there was no 20 knot cross wind to mess with us. Dropping the anchor instead of picking up a ball might be a bit more challenging.

Mike
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Tom:

We have found that med moor is a pretty common deal in Mexico and Central America. The advantage to the marina is that they can cram more boats into a given amount of dock space. The advantage to the cruisers is .....well, there isn't one. except that a med moor is typically a little less expensive than a side tie. We try to avoid med moor when we have a choice. In some cases, you wind up walking a plank to get on and off your boat which can turn a person into a teetotaler. On Isla Mujeres we had to use a bow-to med moor with a plank that had seen better days. Returning to the boat on a windy night after a few sundowners was a bit of a challenge. OTOH, nobody died.

Give med moor a try. You may decide it's no big deal. We try to avoid them whenever we can.

Phil
s/v Sunshine
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm still trying to get a handle on it; assuming two handed with one on the bow and the other at the helm;

with mooring ball: do you pick up the mooring ball with a single line then rotate the boat into position and back into the spot while letting out line on the bow? Or do you normally have to keep the boat lined up while the mooring ball is hooked up?

using the anchor: with my primary (Manson) anchor on a windlass on the port bow do I just drop the anchor one boat length in front of the slip and use primarily the port engine to ease into the slip and to also set the anchor while letting the windlass (all chain) slow my progress into the dock? Should I drop the hook further away for better scope?

Could either of these be done single handed?

Tom