Mooring Pickup

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Mooring Pickup

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, Interesting article in this months Cruising World mag on handling and maneuvering a cat. I picked up a few tips that I'll try if I get in the water this summer (surgery, ugh.)
Being south of NE, I don't run into too many mooring fields, so I haven't developed a regular plan for picking up a mooring. In protected areas, without too much wind or current, I can manage. Otherwise I've had more difficulty, especially short or singlehanded.
I was wondering how everyone else handle this.
Marc
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: Mooring Pickup

Post by Lady of the Lake »

If you are singlehanding, try this...

Before approaching the mooring, tie a line to the starboard bow cleat and run it down the starboard hull outside the lifelines and tie it off to the starboard stern cleat or other convenient location. Approach the mooring keeping the mooring to starboard. Pass alongside the mooring slowly until it is beside you and pick up the pendant with your boat hook while in neutral. Grab the line off your stern cleat (or other more convenient tie location) and pass it through the pendant and walk it back to the bow outside the lifelines and around to the port cleat. Allow the boat to settle back on the mooring. Once secured, you can adjust the bridle shorter and even better, add a second bridle.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Re: Mooring Pickup

Post by Marc Gershel »

Sam, That is clever. I like it.
This is why you get the big bucks.