Air Compressor On Board

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Air Compressor On Board

Post by NautiBits »

I know, it's a performance sailing machine and thou shalt not impinge upon divine sailing characteristics of said vessel by filling with mancave toys, etc. in that the gods of nautical nuance shall look down their upturned probocis and turn the evil eye upon thee and flingeth considerable malfeasance in thine thorny path.

However, do you use airtools(not an impact ratchet, or a nail gun!!..a buffer perhaps) that require a compressor on-board? I could have used a cylinder leak-down tester to diagnose problems with one of my engines recently. I think I've read where they are cool to have for scuba and can keep a multi-hull moving in light winds 8)

Your thoughts?

p.s. Be mindful that all I have is the boat, no storage, no garage, no land dwelling...
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Air Compressor On Board

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I used to own 36089. I bought a neat little compressor from Harbor Freight for the sole purpose of being able to blow out the jets and other clogged passages in the carbs for the 9.9's. I used the honda 2000 to power it.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks Ron. I'm using canned air for clearing the jets currently, but I can definitely see the utility in that. Could you take a look at the Harbor Freight site and post a link to the compressor you had here.

Would you mind if I peppered you with questions? I've got hull 86. There could be similarities, like I'm using a nicely trimmed out piece of oak to keep the fridge door from popping open as the boat flexes. Did you experience that? Where would the wires for the bimini lights connect at the electric panel? Does the solar go directly to the batteries(from the ASC Specialty Concepts controller ), or to one of the buss bars under the helm?

Thanks again,

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

It's been a long time. I sold her in 2007. Never had a problem with the fridge door. I think the solar went directly to the batteries..maybe at the master cutoff switch. If the cockpit lights go to the main panel, you could test by turning them on and selectively turn off panel lighting switches until you get a hit. They also may go directly to the batteries. It has been a long time for the compressor. I'm sure they still have a comparable one.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Ron, okay, thanks anyway.
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

No carb issues in 4 years. The cure?

* Silica gel vent filter. No water from breathing.
* Biobor EB. Did best in corrosion and varnish prevention (PS testing).
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

TW,

Tanx! Maybe this info should be in my engine thread, but it is perfectly welcome here! I will pick up the Biobor at Academy near me. Is the vent filter a DIY fabrication?

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086