Selden In-Boom Reefing

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Selden In-Boom Reefing

Post by NautiBits »

Okay folks,

I've dutifully searched the forum for particulars on how to setup the reefing system. I have seen the page in the owner's manual. (BTW...is that the best manual we have access to? Part of it mistakenly refers to the Antares 44!!) But, it is just a picture and the words refer you to the Selden manual, which is not posted on PDQ36.com. I couldn't find it at Selden either.

My dilemma: I did not take it apart by accident. The PO passed away after disassembling it (and most of the rest of the boat). It was not put back together, even incorrectly, by the marine professional assigned that task. I don't know how much or what type of rope to use. I don't think I have it on board either.

I would benefit from a couple of pics of the way your's is rigged from boom to mast (base?) to collector to cam stop. I think I read somewhere that Selden sets them up initially with Blue rope for the first reef and Red for the second.

Thanks,

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Selden In-Boom Reefing

Post by Page 83 »

I'll try to dig up a drawing for single line reefing. It requires a winch, but is a fast reefing method. The two-sheave cars that move inside the boom are critical elements. There is some advantage to having a loose footed main for this system. The beauty of single line reefing is that no one needs to go to the mast to reef.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks.

I've got the reefing system working. I eventually found selden manuals online. I interpreted, measured, stewed some more, measured a few more times, and finally bought some rope from defender. I learned how to splice the braided rope and crafted some cute little eye splices to affix to the cars. One of the little plastic wheels did make a successful escape into the bay. Lesson learned... It works smoothly without the little bass turd, but I'll replace it. It was a fun little project and I like the results.

Joe MC
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Congrats. I've wondered if a long piece of Nylon sheet* would keep the cars and lines separated.

*stiff, slippery white plastic
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Here are two booklets from Selden that helped get the project completed.

There were markings etched in the boom and mast that identified them as PDQ parts. It gave the boom length too.

I hope this helps someone.
Attachments
SeldenSingleLineReefingInstructions.pdf
(421.73 KiB) Downloaded 2231 times
Selden Single Line Reef Conversion Kit 595-668-E.pdf
(253.04 KiB) Downloaded 1811 times
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086