1996 PDQ Classic Refrigeration

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
windhound
deckhand
deckhand

1996 PDQ Classic Refrigeration

Post by windhound »

I NEED HELP!!!

I have owned my PDQ 36053 boat since she was built in '96 and have ALWAYS had a problem with the corner of the port side saloon cushion area sweating due to the refrigeration system.

I am now experiencing water damage to my floor forward of the companionway.

I removed the flooring under the table to determine where the water was coming from and discovered significant moisture damage to the wood platform where my battery boxes were mounted, as a result of the refrigeration moisture.......an Adler Barber Unit.

I realize I may by the ONLY original owner of a '96 PDQ, but I need HELP and short of cutting into the structure to install a "freestanding" refrigerator, I am clueless as to what to do to correct this problem.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

K. McDonald
Wind Hound II
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Re: 1996 PDQ Classic Refrigeration

Post by chicagocat »

Hey K.
I own 36052, the boat right before yours. We likely have the same refrigeration, even though mine is the diesel (LRC) boat. The fridge has an L shaped top, with a locking spring to hold it up when open. The inside of the fridge has a sort of upper and lower section. The lower section has a small hole for a drain into the port bilge in the galley. If you open the cabinet below the fridge there should be a valve for opening and shutting the tubing running from the drain to the bilge. Possibly, that drain or tube is blocked somewhere or the valve is off.

One check would be to see if you get any moisture by pouring some water into the lower part of the fridge. If it goes freely into the bilge then it's not the drain.

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL