Looking to buy a 32 pdq

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Looking to buy a 32 pdq

Post by Obhoy »

Would like to talk to some one who owns a pdq 32 as I am looking to buy one thank you
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Looking to buy a 32 pdq

Post by amytom »

Where are you located?
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

At present I'm on Cudjo key fla. Do you own a 32 pdq
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Yes we have 32 #9. It's up in Melbourne. Do you have any specific questions?
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

Yes I looked at a few 36 footers in stuart.the guy there said a32 is like a hobby horse.he said to stay away from them.i hear God and bad and would like to hear from some owners that know first hand.what do you think of putting 15 hp on stern.also does the sliding top leak only on certain year models.bridge slap? Thank you for responding
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I would stick with the 9.9's. The 15's wouldn't give you any more speed and mounting them aft would increase the hobby horse effect.
The hobby horsing isn't bad, remember to stow all heavy items mid ship to center the weight.
The hull slap is noticeable but not horrible. No worse than any other small catamaran.
The 36 does offer more stowage and more space but I like the center cockpit and aft cabins of the 32. Both are great boats.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

On the slider leaks. Ours only leaks when the wind is howling from the wrong direction. And the dodger isn't installed. Even then; it's a trickle.
Smj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Smj »

We have a PDQ 36 on the moorings in Marathon. Your welcome to take a sail with us sometime if you would like to check out the sailing ability of the 36'er.
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

What year is your 32. Thanks for the offer on the 36 I might come by to talk to you.my email is janeandbobhoy@gmail.com thank you
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

Smj I looked at a 36 in stuart and when you entered the salon, turned around and looked at the bulkhead under the door, it had all Ben reworked and the one that did it did rough job,and it stuck out like a sore thumb.was this repair from water leaking under door,or maybe leaving door open and causing damage to bulkhead or some other reason. Broker had no answer thank you
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

a. Rocking. All depends on size, waves, and loading. A 32 will always move more than a 36 in the same sea, just in proportion to foot print.

b. Leaks. I can't imagine not using the excellent dodger. With the dodger, not a drop in the boat anywhere under any conditions, including waves over the top and snow.

c. Bridge slap. Far less than most and none most of the time. Take a Gemini out!

d. Transom outboards. A bad idea. Better to watch the weight and keep a clean bottom. And transom extensions help both models as much as the extra HP. without the milage hit, which is huge (I had 18 on a different cat).

It all depends on what you want. I like the 32 since I singlehand 1/2 the time. I also love the aft cabins for sleeping underway (smoother than up front). I love the davit design; rugged and versatile (I stack kayaks on them). On the other hand, the 36 has more room. Speed is actually very similar, with the 32 faster in light to moderate, and the 36 faster about 20 knots... but even that depends much on how she is loaded.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Smj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Smj »

My guess is water leaked from somewhere around the door. We spend our time at anchor or on a mooring so always facing into the wind, this way with the dodger up no water gets near the door. But then again when we bought the boat, she had been on the hard for 7 months with no canvass up and had very little signs of water intrusion.
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

Thin water how long a hull extension can you do on a 32
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Mine are 2'. I would not go much longer as benefits decrease and they get in the way.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2013/ ... ocess.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rvk92D6I6xE/U ... +knots.jpg
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

Did I see so we're that someone was making them that you could buy and install.did you take yours to Bermuda thank you