Wrap-around windows (upper salon) on PDQ36

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Wrap-around windows (upper salon) on PDQ36

Post by Dan White »

Does anyone know where I can get replacements for these windows?
We are near Baltimore.
Any idea what they should cost?
Many thanks for any replies.
Dan White
Main Event II
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Wrap-around windows (upper salon) on PDQ36

Post by Main Event II »

I struggled with this for about a year and finally got a local shipwright here in Panama City Beach, FL, to fabricate and install. The original molds were supposedly destroyed by the subcontractor who made the windows. Using the old ones as a guide, he cut new ones out of 1/4" Lexan. Any thicker would be difficult to bend. We had issues with the sealant and ended up using black silicon and screws to hold the shape (and heat gun) and secure them. The screws are too short and some have loosened and allowed the windows to loosen with the resultant leaks on the starboard side. Meanwhile, I've made translucent covers for them and used 1" screw snaps where the snaps are located. I'll be replacing the rest of the screws with 1" ones and sealing with butle tape to see if that gets the leaking fixed. If not, I'll have to remove the window, clean and reseal. I have ship #36098, which did not have screws in the original windows. There are other postings in the forum that go into much more details but my shipwright did not follow that guidance. Cost me about $3500 and a lot of frustration. Since then, I've been doing everything myself......new tramp, window covers, hatch shades, dinghy motor cover, dinghy chaps, aft bench cushions, cockpit cushions, lifeline cushions and now thinking about a window redo.