What is the best Freshwater prump for PDQs

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

What is the best Freshwater prump for PDQs

Post by catalacmarc »

I posted in the 36 forum but then I thought that this question might reach across types. My galley/head water pump failed, pressure switch failed and now the pump itself is leaking. Anybody have a suggestion for a good pump? It had a 2010 Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 which has a spotty reputation. I suspect that the pump is more than the boat needs. The other issue is that the switch is unavailable.

Thanks, Marc
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: What is the best Freshwater prump for PDQs

Post by deising »

I liked the Shurflo Smart pumps because they were quiet, but I had two fail in too brief a time. I now use cheaper Jabsco pumps that are much noisier, but I can replace them for half the price. It helps to have an accumulator in the plumbing to maintain the pressure rather than have the pump cycle rapidly.

One benefit to the noisier pump is that if you have a leak, or leave a tap open (easy to do at the stern shower on our boat), you hear the pump cycling when it shouldn't and you can take action.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

Post by catalacmarc »

Duane, thanks and you are right about pumps being so quiet. With a bad pressure switch, the Smart Sensor just ran til the breaker got thrown. Plus I think it over-pressurized the system. Marc
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

I tried to replace the original Shurflo with a new Shurflo replacement. The original had an accumulator, but the replacement supposedly didn't need the accumulator. I went through several Shurflo pumps(and great advice for tech support). They failed within months.

I purchased the Whale Accumulator Pump Kit model UF2215, $154 on Defender's big sale now, over three years ago. It fit like a glove and has worked flawlessly. Excellent product. It can handle the needs of liveaboard life.
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086