HF Radio News and Entertainment

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

HF Radio News and Entertainment

Post by Kokomo »

Does anyone have a channel/program/time for news or entertainment that they use and recommend via a HAM radio?

Thanks!!!
Roger s/v Kokomo :?:
Banzai
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Banzai »

I know this is not related BUT.. we installed XM radio on our boat and we LOVE it.

Works everywhere (except under bridges)

$10 per month.. about 100 channels. Crystal clear.
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

sat radio

Post by Kokomo »

Yea! We went wih Sirius and it worked fine in the Bahamas - CNN, Weather Channel and dozens more!
Roger and Bonnie
Banzai
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Banzai »

excellent... NJOY!
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

I second (or third) the XM or Sirius sat radio for the boat. The cost is right and the music and media choices are great. Although not yet "legal" in Canada, I heard it's soon to be approved up there because many folks are already using it anyway.
Sandy K. MISHIGAS MV34
Banzai
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Banzai »

We bought install kits (essentially stereo cables on one end and 1/2" RCAs on the other plus antenna) for both of our boats and our 2 homes.. then just move the box around with us.. works great.

XM now offers traffic and weather too. if you prepay the program a 2 yr deal is less than $10/mo.

We stopped lugging our CD collection with us.. this plus my wife's IPOD is ALL you need!
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by ThomKat »

Roger

Best HF/SSB source I've found for world news is the BBC. They also carry news of significant US related items, though usually from a British perspective, which sometimes can be quite interesting when compared to "local" reporting! They also carry some music. The web site listed below will give you lots of frequency and time options so you can optimize propagation. The source is a text file so it downloads quickly. Could email a copy of the file to you if you can't get to it. Let me know....

http://www.textfiles.com/hamradio/FREQU ... anarc7.txt

Good Luck!

Tom
ThomKat MV34-75