2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke for dingy

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke for dingy

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

Any opinion on which is better for a dingy? I'm leaning towards a 15 HP Yamaha 4 stroke, 99 pounds but only needs half the fuel. The dingy is a 10' 2" Avon RIB. Comments?
Also, where would you buy in Florida?
[/code]
Page 83
admiral
admiral

2 vs 4 stroke

Post by Page 83 »

Manufacturers have not released any info on 2006-legal 2 strokes, meaning that a 2 stroke you buy today may either be a dinosaur or a collector's item in two years. If you care about the environmental factors your choice is obvious. If you don't think there's a bit of a dif, you should just sit downwind of a dinghy dock for a couple of hours, and check out the slick.

A 15 horse 4 cycle will plane most ribs that will fit on a PDQ davit, with two people, a dog, and groceries. That's probably all you need. If you have a ply-bottom softy, you won't go so fast. Nor would you want to be going very fast if there's a short chop. I'm not the only person with a back that won't take another pile driver ride.

It would be nice to find a dinghy engine that uses the same parts as the prime movers. It also nice to use the same fuel tanks for all.

I currently have a hard dinghy made like a cheap ice chest. The GPS says I've averaged 15 mph on a 30 minute round trip using a short shaft Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke on smooth water. Thats 340 pounds of me and stuff plus 57 pound of engine and a 10 pound tank. The tank fittings work on the Yamahas, and it can use the same plugs. Out of storage it started on the first pull two seasons in a row.

Honda has a new BF 15/20 at about 100 pounds I talked a friend into putting one on his racing cat, replacing a 25 hp 2 stroke that weighed barely less. At last report he's very happy with it.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

dinghy

Post by Leadfree »

We have a Yamaha 8hp, 2 cycle that planes with us in it. It starts whenever I pull it and the thing only weighs 62#
Sharon of Lead Free Too
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Decided

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

Thanks for your input.
Finally opted for a 15 hp Honda. Found one at Boats.Net, only place asking less than list.