It's getting cold!!!

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Dan White
admiral
admiral

It's getting cold!!!

Post by Dan White »

Last weekend, aftera fabulous day of sailing, we overnighted in a very pleasant cove off of the Chesapeake. I estimate the temperature dipped into the 30's overnight, as it got quite chilly. Since I had people in all 3 of the cabins, plus on the converted dinette, I did not want to run the generator (due to noise. The generator sits under the aft bunk) Therefore, I could not run either the heat pump or the electric portable heaters, for fear of running down the batteries.

Could not use the portable propane heater either for fear of carbon monoxide. Therefore, we just zipped up the sleeping bags, drank some extra boubon and waited till morning to crank up the generator.

Does anyone have any favorite ways of getting heat so it can be used overnight, while at anchor? Obviously I could go to the expense of adding an external flue for a diesel heater, but I was looking for something a litlle less intrusive/expensive.
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Heat

Post by Kokomo »

We've been using an "Alladin" oil lamp. It has a mantle like Coleman lamps, but you don't pump it up. It puts out a large amount of heat (and light) and is available at the hardware store in Annapolis at the head of Ego Ally (across from the market). We only use it up to bedtime.
Roger and Bonnie
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Heat

Post by Dan White »

What a great idea!
Thanks Roger and Bonnie,
Glad to see you made it safely to Florida.
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

heat without genset

Post by ELIXIR »

try an inverted clay flower pot over your gas burners. Puts out a moderate amount of heat. Large wick oil lamp is equal or better.
A good sound shield should cut the genset noise though. If you lack one go to West Marine and buy the material. Make a temp plate cut out the shield pieces and use the tape from West for the shield material. Not as good the manufacturer's but cuts the noise in 1/2.