PC as chartplotter?

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

PC as chartplotter?

Post by Ed Ellis »

I'l like to use my laptop as a chartplotter. I know I'll need to get a GPS accessory for it. What I'd like to know is whether there is software I can get that will allow the pc to use the GPS data and plot it in real time on a chart depicted on the PC screen (much the same way a stand-alone chartplotter works)?

Suggestions anyone?
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

P/C Chartplotter

Post by SecondWind »

Ed,

We're using the Captain Software onboard Second Wind. We have 2 PC's with the software loaded, so that we can use either one. We are using an old Garmin 45 to feed GPS info to the unit (The display on the GPS is half gone.) It works well except for positioning the GPS to maintain a steady signal. We're going to try remote mounting the antennae with a cable to see if that helps. We have also devised a power/data cord for the GPS to feed from 12v. We run the Computer from the inverter. We have been pleased with the data output from the Captain and use it as a secondary active chartplotter on the dinette table.

Terry Green & Bob Stein
s/v Second Wind
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

PC as a plotter

Post by Kokomo »

We (Kokomo) also use the "Capn" software and are VERY pleased with the results. The PC is used in the cockpit or set on the saloon table in really bad weather.
Roger and Bonnie
Page 83
admiral
admiral

PC as chartplotter

Post by Page 83 »

This is my favorite topic. email me direct at sandydaugherty@att.net and I'll send you the article I'm working on. Its too long for a forum post.
Yes,the pc can do everything a chartplotter can, and more, but ends up costing as much or more than a really good chartplotter, with a mare's nest of cables and stuff attached, and does not tolerate sea spray. The current crop of chart plotters offers many with screens that are perfectly useable in sunlight, but Panasonic's claim notwithstanding, laptops are less readable, even under a hardtop.
I do have both, but my common sense is FREQUENTLY called to question.
I'm currently trying to get used to the $200 marine version of Fugawe software, because it uses charts you can download from the Coast Guard for free.

ps if anyone tells you paper charts are better, ask him if he religiously makes the pen and ink chages that are posted 10 or twelve times between new versions of that paper chart. You can upgrade your electronic charts automatically, and have more up-to-date information than he does.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

PC Chartplotters

Post by SecondWind »

While I agree with Sandy about the cost factor, I believe that no one is using a PC as a primary unit. We all have PC's onboard for retrieving e-mail, Internet access, letter writing , etc. The other factor is that an affordable color Chartplotter with a screen size which matches a PC does not exist, so the backup display give a better, bigger picture.. We use all of our availble navigation devices (including paper charts and our eyes.) None of them will give a 100% accurate picture of Navaids, shoals, etc, because updates to all charts, including electronic charts come from the same office at NOAA, and are updated by organizations such as the US Power Squadrons, and from any other concerned boaters.

Terry Green
s/v Second Wind 36040
Passage Back
deckhand
deckhand

GPS to PC

Post by Passage Back »

We use Garmin's Bluechart with a laptop interfaced to a Garmin Mariner hand held GPS. Accuracy in Chesapeake Bay was 7-10 ft EPE.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

PC vs chartplotter

Post by Page 83 »

Terry is right; a laptop is not a good choice for a primary navigation system, for several reasons: LCD Screens that will work in a cockpit cost $3000 alone, and no laptop screen comes close. Look for 1000 nits and at least 400:1 contrast ratio. "Special" filters and coatings are 'way over-hyped. Certain Panasonic "toughbooks" might survive in a marine environment, but no other laptop can last very long.

But its nice to have a 15" screen to plan the next day's voyage. If you can then send that route up to the helm station's GPS, you have a winner! But if you're running the autopilot from a laptop at the nav station, you will be running an obstacle course as well as a boat.

p.s. updating charts: NOAA updates ENCs monthly and if you have Fugawi you can use them, free. All the other chart repackagers update their product (derived from the NOAA data) on a much less frequent basis. And the USCG has approved ENCs as a substitute for paper charts when a US flagged vessel has certain navigation equipment plus plus etc.

There are currently 455 version 2 charts available from NOAA's web sites below. I suspect that's most of them. These are the ones that are updated with Notices to Mariners, usually every month. Don't download version 1 charts.

Techie note: There is also a way to download these charts in GIS format.

NOAA ENC Overview = http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/index.htm
NOAA ENC FAQ =
http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/staff/faq.htm#encfaq
NOAA chart downloads =
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026