Watermakers

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Watermakers

Post by Ed Ellis »

I'm shopping for a watermaker and would like some advice about capasity (gallons per day). Typically, it's just my wife and I cruising with an occasional couple joining us for a few days. We like to go where fresh water is scarce. We typically shower once a day --sailor style (wet down, soap down, rinse off). Linda has shoulder length hair, so she requires more water to rinse soap out of her hair. Do you think 200 gpd will suffice?

Any particular brand of watermaker to avoid?
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Watermakers

Post by SecondWind »

Ed.

We have a 35 gpd-not nearly big enough. I'd figure on one that will make at least 15 gph. That way you'll make enough in an hour of electric production to be generous for a whole day. Spectra seems to be popular. Ask Roger Ford on Kokomo about them.

Terry Green
Second Wind 36040
next exit
skipper
skipper

Water

Post by next exit »

I use a Little Wonder 150 and it is a power hog. If I was to change, it would probably be to a Spectra. I do cruise in the no water places.

Don Wilson
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Spectra Info from Kokomo

Post by Kokomo »

We're using the Spectra "Santa Cruz" (I think???). It makes 6 to 7 gph but the trade off is that it's less expensive and, more importantly, it has a 40 inch membrane versus the normal 80 inch - much easier to find a place to install. If that's not enough water, Spectra has larger models. Most Spectra's are about 1 ah / gallon.

Roger Ford
s/v Kokomo
Roger and Bonnie
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Watermaker

Post by Leadfree »

I agree with the Fords that the Spectra is great and the service is very good which can be important.
Sharon
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

We use a Spectra Ventura 150 the same as the Fords. The company support has been good. It makes about 7GPH using about 10amp/hrs. I also installed a Zeta guard by Spectra. This electrically charges the feedwater eliminating the need to ever pickle the unit.