A.C. Units

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
SteppingStone
1st mate
1st mate

A.C. Units

Post by SteppingStone »

Hi All,
Does anyone have any opinions about A.C. units in a PDQ? Make, Model, and installation locations would be appreciated. Thanks, Roger Wood
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Air Conditionng

Post by Dan White »

I like mine a great deal for air conditioning. I ordered it when the boat was built. They put it under the starboard bunk.
I forget what the model is. If the factory can't tell you, email me and I'll look it up next time I'm down at the boat.

One thing I would change: for heating, the unit is fine most of the time, EXCEPT: when the water is too cold, ( under 45 degrees or so) it doesn't make good heat. And when you are at asleep at anchor, and don't want to run the generator (due to noise). For both reasons, it would be good to have a propane or diesel heater with appropriate intake/exhaust.
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

AC IN PDQ

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

Note my reply to LADY OF THE LAKE in the Capella Forum, subject: AC location. Alex Kehayes 36073.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I just finished installing an A/C unit on my 36. I put it under the settee on the starboard side. I had to trim a bit of the nav station to make adequate room but it was no big deal. I elected to go with an OceanBreeze unit from Stuart, FL. Instead of going with the traditional reverse cycle heat option, I decide to go with the electric heat, a coil mounted in front of the plenum. This deals with the cold water issue as well as reduces time on the compressor since it is not needed for heat in this case but would be for reverse cycle. I went this way because I had a lot of problems with my reversing valve sticking on my CruiseAir unit on the last boat. If you do decide to go with OceanBreeze or MarineAir, they are both in Stuart, FL and you can pick up refurbs or sometimes even new units at half price on ebay directly from the factory.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL