USCG Documentation Number Requirements?

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

USCG Documentation Number Requirements?

Post by Mishigas »

OK, I received my paperwork and certificate of documentation from the uscg and it requires that the numbers be: "Block type Arabic numerals at least 3" high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area" Can anyone here tell me where they mounted these numbers on your PDQ (if documented)? I can certainly get a plaque made but how to mount so it "scars or damages the hull" if removed? Please clue me in as I never owned a documented vessel before.
Thanks Sandy Kramer MV34 "Mishigas"
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

I don't know if mine is legal (I've never had a Coast Guard inspection) but I attached vinyl letters directly to the hull under the galley floor boards. I then covered with several coats of epoxy. I would recommend doing this with the boat out of water. When I did it in the water in the spring the water was so cold the epoxy did not cure well.
I saw a website that showed the numbers mounted vertically alongside the door to the aft cabin.(UGLY)
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

I did the same (epoxy coated vinyl numbers) but I put it in a cockpit locker so I could show it easily. Its in the same locker where I keep the PFDs and flares.

f you're concerned about theft, put a second copy of the numbers somewhere that they won't be noticed, like a side of the chain locker.

Loki, 36072
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

Post by ELIXIR »

Sandy -PDQ will carve burn #'s on a board and glass it to an interior bulkhead in a lazarette (you don't want it in a cabin) but you may be too late for them to do it at this point...worth a call. Jim
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Thanks All, Yes it is a bit too late for PDQ to do this as the boat is in the water and out of the plant as we speak. I think the easiest thing at this point to do is just apply the numbers in a suitable location and epoxy glass over them as required. I'll do this when I get back home but I will be traveling with the doc's needed in case of inspection.
Sandy MISHIGAS MV34
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

Hi Sandy
I was in a situation where I had to quickly get my hull number on. I just used a magic marker in a forward locker, covered with clear epoxy. USCG has inspected it twice with no complaints.

Rich
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

My number is spray painted inside the forward hatch, with epoxy over it.