Dinghy outboards

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
sailors3
deckhand
deckhand

Dinghy outboards

Post by sailors3 »

Any comments, pros/cons, on 2 stroke vs 4 stroke outboards when purchasing new? I'm debating because of the weight, and the fact that in the Bahamas anc Caribbean you don't see many 4 strokes yet. Would appreciate comments from those cruising the areas and with either type of motor.
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Dinghy Motor

Post by Kokomo »

We're cruising full-time and the best advice we received was get the biggest dinghy and outboard your davits can handle. We have a 9.5' AB with a 15HP 2-stroke. The 4 strokes are just too heavy at this time. You do see many 2-strokes in the Bahamas and I imagine they are easier to have repaired.
Roger and Bonnie
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

Post by ELIXIR »

I have often heard that it is difficult to get 4 strokes repairs in the Bahamas. They are getting lighter. I have a older Honda 15 HP 4 stroke and put a triple purchase block on that end of my 10' Apex lite rib and it works fine. You want to be sure to secure the dink from any lateral movement though with all that weight as the Pdq davits wouldn't take it otherwise.