Bottom Paint / Battery / Cushion Winterization Questions

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Bottom Paint / Battery / Cushion Winterization Questions

Post by Mishigas »

1) I'll be pulling our MV34 in November and wonder how often the bottom will need to be re-painted. Boat was new this spring and I think PDQ uses Trinidad Pettit paint. What do you look at when the boat is pulled to determine if re-painting is necessary or it can go another season? Our boating is primarily in the Chesapeake Bay area. Also, who paints their running gear?
2) Let's talk batteries during the winter slumber. Boat will be on the hard and wonder should I pull the batteries and keep them on a trickle charger at home or just disconnect and leave on board? No way to keep them charged on board.
3) Cushions, bedding, pads and anything that can absorb moisture may be better off not on board during the winter layup. What do you northern folks do to keep your interior dry during the off season? Do you pull the pads out?
:P I know, the universal answer: Take boat to Florida during the winter.
Thanks (more winterizing questions coming soon!)
Sandy Kramer "MISHIGAS" MV34 Hull 68
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

winterizing comments

Post by doubledutch »

Bottom paint - I would expect to at least touch up some areas.

Batteries - In your area you could probably leave them on board but I would at least hook up a small solar trickle charger. Further north it's best to remove batteries.

Interior cushions - I just stand them on edge so the air can get around them but again it depends somewhat on where you are. As it gets colder the air gets drier so mildew is less of a concern.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

we used to use trinidad years ago. at that time, it wasn't a multi-season paint (i.e. once exposed to air, it no longer worked). check to see if it is now a multi-season paint. if not you'll need to re-paint.

john cummings

duetto mv34