PDQ in North Carolina

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

PDQ in North Carolina

Post by Kokomo »

CANADIAN BUILDER AIMS TO DOUBLE ITS SIZE

This news will be bitter-sweet for many Canadian boat builders. Catamaran builder PDQ Yachts is opening a new production facility in North Carolina to support an aggressive expansion strategy, according to The Globe and Mail.

PDQ's president, Simon Slater, told the newspaper that the company wants to double its size over the next two years, partly by delivering boats year-round, something difficult for a catamaran builder to accomplish in Canada.

The luxury yacht builder's 75 employees currently make about 25 boats per year. But due to the boats' size, which eliminates trucking as a method of delivery, boats built in the winter have to be stored until Lake Ontario melts in the spring, according to the newspaper.

The company's $3-million Edenton, N.C. plant, now under construction, will solve that problem and will stem the erosion of the boat builder's profit margins due to a rising Canadian dollar, the newspaper explained.

PDQ plans to use its North Carolina location to build its high-volume 34 Powercat, while the Whitby factory will build the Antares sailboat and the two bigger versions of the Powercat expected to be launched in the future.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Well I guess the "Cat's Outta the Bag"...No pun intended :wink: , Wow, that's a huge move for PDQ. I would think boat workers, glass people etc, are available in the Carolinas as this seems to be a destination for many builders on the east coast. I wish Simon and PDQ all the best in this endeavor.
Sandy Kramer MISHIGAS PC34
sailors3
deckhand
deckhand

Post by sailors3 »

We just returned from visiting the PDQ factory and saw some rough mock ups for a new 40' powercat that is due to be introduced at the Annapolis show next year. Our understanding is that they do intend to keep both plants and build different boats in each. We wish them well too. Kenny & Kathy