Yamahas New 9.9's

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Yamahas New 9.9's

Post by Cat Tales »

It's time for us to look into new engines. I've noticed two complications with Yamahas new 9.9's.
1. They only come in a tiller handle model.
2. Their size appears to be slightly larger than the older ones.
The first problem is an easy fix by purchasing the conversion kit for the remote control assembly (approx $50). The second problem has me more worried because the size of the upper units' housing appears to be 1 inch larger than the top side hinged opening of the nacelles. Other aspects of the unit are also bigger which may pose problems with the mounting on the transoms. Has anyone had any experience with the newer T9.9's? Does anyone know of any conflicts with size?

Thank you,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

The new US Yamaha 9.9 will not fit. You can buy the non US version thru Seaway Marine in Whitby. They cost me $3200 each delivered in Washington, NC this last suimmer. Theu were essentially plug and play with the remote wiring. Did not come with the centering pin to lock engine in central position. I fabricated my own anyway that is better than yamaha's version. If you want to contact them, see below:

Seaway Marine
1606 Charles St.
Whitby, Ontario, Canada LIN1B9

905 666-9111

Fax 905 430-6310
\
Ask for KUMAR
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I haven't looked closely at the locking mechanism of the new engines. Can you give the details on what you did to create the center locking pin?
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

It is a flat SS plate about 1/4 inch thick. If you look at the 9.9, you will see the stock plate has two holes on the motor housing and one on the yoke or handle. None of the holes in the housing are threaded so you use SS bolts and nuts to attach. The hole in the plate that receives the bolt from the handle needs to be threaded to match the bolt. I used a bolt with an allen type head. It is easier to access for tightening.

Just have the plate cut to include the three holes. It comes out oblong and about 3 inches long by 1 inch wide.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

engine options

Post by doubledutch »

There have been a couple of extensive discussions on the engine forums at http://www.themultihull.com on this topic. Well worth a look for good input on a variety of issues. It seems that in the end the best new engine option may be to go to the high thrust Yamaha 8. It is available with remote control and has a power tilt option. Unfortunately it only has 6 amp alternators but if you have solar or other gen facilities this may not matter.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Which forum in multihulls has the discussion on outboards?
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

multihull forums

Post by doubledutch »

Go the the topic - Engines in Cats - when it opens you need to click on the bar at the top right to view topics from the past year.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I have succesfully fit the New style 9.9's in the nacelles. There are a few obstacles to overcome, no of which can't be handle by someone already familiar with the old style engines. I am compiling all my notes & items needed for the conversion and putting them into one file for anyone interested. The new style engines, plus additional parts, cost approx. $750 less (per engine) than buying an old style from Canada. Converting them will add about 5 hours to your install time. I felt it was a cost-effective challenge. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Did you install them from above?

Can you get at the dip stick?

Will they still tilt up when sailing?
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

They fit in the wells just as the old style does, from above. The size is approx. 1 to 2 inches largers all the way around, but they still fit in the wells. The only tight fit is at the aft part of the well/motor. The motor rubs slightly in the rear where the pad eye for the lifting line is located. I trimmed about 1/2 inch of the nacelle (not the hull) and they fit right in. They also raise up as normal & the oil accesibility is convenient.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Please keep us updated on your experience... I have had a mechanic and two boat owners tell me the new 9.9 hi thrust engines will not fit.. but have not tried it myself.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Nando
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Nando »

I've repowered with the new Yamahas. I had to enlarge the opening to install them from above. They have a nice feature, a fresh water flush hose, that should help with corrosion issues.
cruising and living aboard Tooyoots, 36049
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I am posting info I received from Dennis Gill, who has repowered his PDQ36 with new Yamaha 9.9s.

Here is some interesting info that I have found on the new 2006 Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke, electric start, extended shaft. wanted to let all of the PDQ Classic owners know that there are some differences in the new 2006 Yamaha 9.9 four-stroke extended shaft outboard motors. There is some good news and some bad news. First, the new 2006 models have a plastic flush appurtenance mounted on the starboard side of the engine that allows you to hook up a garden hose to the motor from the top and do a fresh water flush. This is very easily done even with the engine down in the nacelle. Unfortunately, it makes the unit even wider, and because it is made of plastic, easily damaged. The motor itself is an added 1.75" wider than the 2002 model that I replaced. This makes it too wide to fit into the nacelle without modifying the nacelle. I modified mine by cutting a hinged door in the side to allow the engine to fit in. I don't know if this affects the structural integrity of the yacht or the cockpit area, but I do know that the fiberglass is a fiberglass sandwich with a light weight plastic honeycomb material in between, that takes a bit of time to reseal with fiberglass. Once the outboard motor is below the level of the cockpit floor the nacelle is barely large enough to let the motor sit with enough room for the clamps to still hold - even though I would prefer to have the engine sit low enough to have the clamps sit as low as the bracket will allow. There is still more bad news to come, for the release for tilting the engine up out of the water has been changed as well. It is located under the housing on the starboard side, which is difficult enough for the port engine and nearly impossible to get to on the starboard engine, unless you hook up a positive cable to rotate it up and down to release and lock the engine (since it does not lock automatically when down like the previous models). Although the manuals state that this model does not come with power trim, the parts you need to order are for the 15 hp 4-stroke Yamaha for the remote kit and perhaps for the power trim/tilt. I haven't pursued this yet, but I BELIEVE that you can rig it for power tilt. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT AFFECT THIS WILL HAVE IF YOUR BATTERIES ARE DEAD AND THE ENGINE IS TILTED UP OUT OF THE WATER.

There is still more; the throttle has changed. So, on my PDQ 36 now, I have one push to open throttle and one pull to open throttle. This is critical if your controls do not allow you to convert from one to the other. I let the local Yamaha dealer convince me that my Morse Controls would not allow for the conversion, yet after we removed them and had purchased and installed new Yamaha controls (for an added $600), I noticed that they did allow for push or pull to open throttles. The new models for the extended shaft (25") are referred to as T9.9 EXHZ, but you have to order the remote kit as if it were a 15 hp. If you order the remote kit for a T9.9 EXHZ, you get the old remote kit for the previous year models, which will not work with this model. The 2006 model does have the bed where the cables go through the front of the motor housing built in. You just need some parts to allow them to be secured and some rubber seals. This model only comes as a tiller model; the dealer will tell you that they do not come remote, but you can convert them rather easily once you know what parts to order. The kill switch is on the tiller handle, which is different from previous years as well. This 2006 model does lock in the partially up tilt position, but not up enough to be out of the water.

I hope that this helps you make your decision on whether to repower your Yamaha 9.9 with a new 2006 or repair your existing 9.9.

Smooth Sailing,

Dennis Gill
USCG Master, 100GT, NCW
ASA Instructor
Director, Sailshare Yacht Charters
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Do you know what hull number Mr. Gill has?
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

He has Hull #36038. He also has Hull #32002. He charters them out of Key West.
Was there a change in the hull design that make the outboard installation different for different hull numbers?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL