New outboards for the 36 - PDQ's position?

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Wind Dancer
deckhand
deckhand

New outboards for the 36 - PDQ's position?

Post by Wind Dancer »

I've been looking at older PDQ36's.

Having read here about issues with getting new outboards to fit, I find myself wondering...if I buy a PDQ 36, what happens when the outboards die and need replacing?

Is PDQ stepping up with solutions?

Seems the right thing and logical thing to do since they built the boats after all.

Where is PDQ on this seemingly significant issue? I'd always heard that their owner support was really good in the past.
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

When I first encountered this problem, Debbie Slater looked into it immediately. Currently, in Canada, it's not a problem since the Canadian version remains the same. That's why s/v Tanah Keeta imported a pair of 9.9's from Canada (see previous postings). It's possible, the ones sold in the Bahamas are also of the same size, but I have not confirmed that fact.
Roger and Bonnie
captain hank
deckhand
deckhand

Yamaha Engines

Post by captain hank »

I purchased 2 Yamaha engines in Canada all ready to go harness and all. There is some difficulty getting warrantee work in the USA, but I heard that if you make a major fuss you can get it. I don't know personally, since I can never find someone to do the work fast enough in season when I need it. So I do all my own repair now.

If PDQ could help us get warrantee work in the USA, for these engines bought in Canada that would solve the problem. The cost of shipping was about $400, which can be saved if one is close enough to drive to pick them up.
Captain Hank
captain@nedlaw.com
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Capt. Hank,

If you don't mine me asking, how much were the Canadain engines?
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
captain hank
deckhand
deckhand

new outboards

Post by captain hank »

In late 2004 I paid about $2400.00 US
Captain Hank
captain@nedlaw.com
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

In mid 2005, they cost $3200 each delivered to NC. They come complete with harness. The only modification required was to cut the charging wire and extend to the buss PDQ installed.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108