Electric Pod replace the outboards totally

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
SeaPaws
1st mate
1st mate

Electric Pod replace the outboards totally

Post by SeaPaws »

I also found this site and it seems to be a solution I would try. Bolt on electric drives like a saildrive and it regenerates power while sailing requiring no engine space. Make a locker out of the outboard well and QUIET Clean Power.

http://www.re-e-power.com/
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Electric power

Post by Page 83 »

This is interesting. Which pod are you considering?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Electric power

Post by Page 83 »

This is interesting. Which pod are you considering?
SeaPaws
1st mate
1st mate

Post by SeaPaws »

Hey Sandy, I think the pb-2500 set would do the trick for the PDQ 36, I would consider the 4000 for our new boat but I feel it is too long at 60"
The 3000's are 32" and the maker said it should work. I want to watch this company and product to be prepared if I have a major failure I may make a switch to an electric drive set-up. Less mess, no oil changes in the sail drive and oil in the bilge, Clean quiet power. I did find out the recharge is about a 20% factor. Sail 5 hours and have an hour of motoring. It would require a good generator to straight out run the drives. But a small 36 or 48 v DC generator would be very fuel efficent.

Saw you leaving West River today we were headed in about Noon.
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

diesel-electric

Post by halfmoon »

Have you calculated the weight of generator and batteries...any weight savings? And, can you run a straight diesel-electric mode.
Alex Kehayes 36073
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Page 83
admiral
admiral

noon parade, West River

Post by Page 83 »

I missed you. Somebody yelled at me from a big french cat that I didn't recognize. We had just left the Singles on Sailboats Monster Raft, which was interrupted by weather, the winds were forecast higher than our rules allow. It would have been fun, there were 70 SoS boats there, with 200 plus members.

I just finished the run in period on the T8s, but we had a chain jam on the windlass that popped something some where. the entire DC panel went out. I guess four generations of expert improvements has a price.

I suspect that the only thing left on this boat that is entirely original will be the wheel.
SeaPaws
1st mate
1st mate

Post by SeaPaws »

Sandy, that was me who yelled at you from our Voyage (S. African) SeaPaws II.

Alex..... I haven't gone that far to calculate the weights. The pods can be run from generators only if needed and ideally that would be the way to go for safety sake.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

My gawd, how big is that vessel/island?

I got to spend some time on Solomon Technologies Conser 47 two years ago. It was wonderful to handle, plenty of thrust available. The generator they had was very large and very loud, and I suspect the boat was pretty heavy with the batteries they were carrying. I do think a regenerating system is preferable, but the newer projects don't seem to be going that way. Its been interesting watching.
SeaPaws
1st mate
1st mate

Post by SeaPaws »

Sandy, yes it is a step up in size from the PDQ, maintenance included. But we are enjoying the boat, not worried about any weather the Bay can throw at us any more. SeaPawsII is 47' with a 27' beam. I'll have to give you a tour sometime.