New 9.9's

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

New 9.9's

Post by Knotty Cat »

Just picked up a Yamaha catalogue at the Boston boat show. It's dated July 07 and says the 9.9 has been redesigned for compactness and indicates that power tilt is an option. Does anyone know if these would be a direct replacement for the older models?
charlie phillips
deckhand
deckhand

Post by charlie phillips »

I was just at our local boat show and saw the new 9.9. It is a new engine, not the detuned 15 hp that doesn't fit. It is nearly identical to the new 8 hp. The dealer said it was the same engine with different carb settings but the Yamaha website shows it as 212 cc vs 197 cc for the 8. Compression is higher than the 8.

The alternator is now only 6 amps rather than 10. Like the new 8, it has a built-in flushing connection -very nice. Weight is 104 lbs for the 20 inch shaft - a bit more for the 25 inch.

It does have a power tilt option. One thing I noticed about power tilt is that it extends far lower below the motor clamps - well below the bottom of the fiberglass fairing. (at least on my 32 - not sure about 36)

I didn't make measurements, but it looks right. This is the updated motor from Yamaha that PDQ owners have been waiting for.

The dealer did say that Yamaha was still tweaking the carb settings due to some rough idling.

Charlie Phillips
PDQ32-46
Portland, OR
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Post by carib sailor »

Fantastic news.
Last edited by carib sailor on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

Hey< best news I have had in a while> More info greatly appreciated>
Fron George Town Bahamas with a screwed up computer
Don Wilson
Next Exit