New 9.9's on Friday

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
admiral
admiral

New 9.9's on Friday

Post by 36041 »

All,

For anyone interested, I have ordered a pair of the new Yamaha 9.9's and we are picking them up on Friday. I called four different places, three of which were able to get them for us. Of the three, two had to order them from Yamaha and said it would be 5 or 6 days to get them delivered to the dealer. The third dealer had two of them in stock at his facility.

The first two dealers quoted us prices of $3195 and $2995 a piece for just the engines. Controls and wiring runs were to be extra. The dealer with the engines in stock quoted us $2495 per engine. We have a rental car arranged for this weekend and we will be picking up our two engines then. I hope to install them next week and I will keep you updated on how we are progressing.

Also of note, all three dealers told me that the extra long, 25 inch shaft is only available with the electric trim option, which is contrary to what the spec sheet on the Yamaha website says. I guess we'll just have to suffer with power tilt. :)

By the way, I hopefully will have two, used, 1999, 9.9 Yamahas looking for a home next week. We are currently in the Vero Beach area.

Regards,
Tom
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: New 9.9's on Friday

Post by Cat Tales »

If you don't mind, please post the dealer's info you were most happy with, regarding price & service. Also let us know how they fit, especially with that "dreaded" power tilt feature :)
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

All,

Ok, we picked them up. They are in fact 2008 (11.15.07 - manufactured date) 9.9's with a 25 inch shaft and integral electric trim mechanism. We got them from Lentine Marine in Stuart Florida (http://www.lentinemarine.com/) and the cost was $2495 per engine plus tax. Lou (owner) said they keep two in stock at all times and he said to let the PDQ community know he was around.

Right now, said engines are sitting in the parking lot in our rental car and tomorrow we hope to move to the dock to load them on to the mother ship. I'll post an update as soon as we have made some progress.

Tom
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

If your new install goes well; please let us know what you would want for the old ones.
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

AmyTom,

You can have the old ones for $100 a piece. Contact me directly if you are interested.

Tom
sailPDQ36@tendervittles.net
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

Are these the new ones based on the 8hp which fit easily?

Don
Don Wilson
Next Exit
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Don,

These are the brand new design and fit through the top of the lazerette-top opening only-engine lids that you and I have. The shift cable ends and the actual engine shift/control cables are different, but hopefully the hook up issue is not to big a deal. (I'm still working on it)

By the way, I just finished sewing my new SDK head sail. It might be time for a sailing rematch!!!

Take care,
Tom
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I don' t understand what you mean "top opening" only"? Do you mean the tops that open as a lid only (older design) or the ones that extend most of the way down the front of the hatch area (newer design)?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

36041 wrote:Don,

These are the brand new design and fit through the top of the lazerette-top opening only-engine lids that you and I have. The shift cable ends and the actual engine shift/control cables are different, but hopefully the hook up issue is not to big a deal. (I'm still working on it)

By the way, I just finished sewing my new SDK head sail. It might be time for a sailing rematch!!!

Take care,
Tom
This makes me happy.

BTW saw your blog. Headsail is original 1993 and mail is 3 years old. Better work on that trim(g)
Don Wilson
Next Exit
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

All,

The starboard engine is in and happy! I will post a detailed report when I am completely done with the port side, but here are a couple of things I thought were worth mentioning now.

1.) The new model 9.9 fits through the engine hatch of the older style boats with about an inch of clearance all the way around. No trimming of the hatch lip is necessary.

2.) The new model also fits into the same mounting position as the old engines again without any fiberglass modifications.

3.) The new engine is available as an electric lift only and the although it looks like it won't clear the bottom of the engine bay nacelle, if you spin the engine 45 degrees as it passes out the bottom, it clears easily. No trimming was required to allow the electric motor "bump" to slide out the bottom and into position.

4.) With the different design of the new motor, the engine now lifts entirely up out of the water where as my original engines stayed wet on the last several inches of the shaft and propeller.

5.) The new engines have a 10 pin harness connector as opposed to the old style 8. You can splice in to the old harness or for $75 a piece, you can get new 16 foot, 10 pin harnesses from Yamaha. We opted for new harnesses.

7.) The control cables are located about four inches higher on the new model engine and as such we decided to raise the point where the cables pass through the engine firewall by about 5 inches which put it above the nacelle cutout as opposed to below it where it was with the original motors. The forth coming pictures will show this in more detail.

More to follow. Stay tuned.
Tom
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Great news! Does anyone know which hull number incorporated the new style engine bay/hatch with the cutout running down the front of the bench?

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
JerryC
deckhand
deckhand

Post by JerryC »

I replaced the 9.9s with 8hp high thrust yamahas as the 9.9 would not fit into the wells. Hull #4, 32'. Lucky thing I had a good Mechanic as the new harness was 10 pin which we wired into the 7 pin. The shifter/ gas was reversed on the 8s & that had to be changed inside the original shifters.
Pushes boat at 7 kns in flat conditions. I get to spend more time on the water now.