Engine work: to pull or not to pull?

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
amytom
admiral
admiral

Engine work: to pull or not to pull?

Post by amytom »

Went to go out today but the starboard engine gave me some hell. I could get it running but it would die out shortly or if I gave it throttle. Since I left the boat with gas in the carbs and haven't run it in a month I assume the problem is with the carb. I did check the plugs and they sparked up against the housing even though they were blackened. I'm going to build up a spare carb we have and install it early next week and also replace all 4 sparkplugs. Hopefully that will cure my ills.

The question I have is: do most people work on the engine in place or pull it into the cockpit or garage? If you pull it; what are the bolts used to lift by the flywheel?

Thanks

Tom
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Engine work: to pull or not to pull?

Post by Page 83 »

Sorry Tom, I just left the boat. The threads on the flywheel are metric, ITHINK they're 6mm but I'm not sure. I have a little hoisting rig consisting of three bolts and three nuts, in the bottom links of three short pieces of 1/4" chain and a largish shackle in at the top. I screw the bolts in four turns, snug the nuts down to reduce side loads, and hoist the engine out with the main halyard thru a swivel snatch block back up to the middle bale on the boom. This allows me to position the snatch block to lift straight up, and swivel the engine or spin the flywheel if need be. I can see everything I need to fiddle with for winterizing with the engine hanging part way out the hatch, without disconnecting any thing other than the transom clamps.

Oh yeah, I have a soft bimini and fold it forward to do this. If you have a hardtop, your experience will vary.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Thanks Sandy. I do have the hardtop. I was hoping to use the main halyard through the window directly to the shackle arrangement and just muscle in the angle. does this seem reasonable? Of course I'm hoping to not have to pull at all but I will eventually.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I think I recall some earlier discussions about using a 2x4 and a chain hoist to raise the engines under the hardtop. What ever you do, do it. trying to squirt fogging oil into one of the cylinders, I lost the little red stem. I was sure it went down the plug hole, and pulled the engine completely out only to find the stem had dropped down between the powerhead and the lower case. Another Yamahsmack.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Swapped the plugs - no luck. Tested fuel flow coming out of fuel pump, seemed okay. Installed the spare carb and it fired right up. :D Now I have another carb to rebuild.

While working in there I checked the flywheel and it is M8 bolts for the lift. (I bought both M6 and M8 just in case) I hooked up 3 links of 1/4" chain to each of the bolts under fender washers and connected all three chains to a 5/16" shackle. This looks like it will by the lifting gear when I need it. I did look at the mounting hardware and found that my engines have the clamps and also have through bolts. Is this common?