Starting Problems

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Starting Problems

Post by MIDORI »

My 1998 9.9 port engine is not consistently starting. The port engine would stall, when I finally got it started, it was late enough, that I could see that the oil pressure light was not on. Rather than cross to BIMIN I returned from Rodrigues, to Boot Key 9 hours, the engines ran very well. ( I think the oil light is a secondary issue) The port engine stalled on my return and would not restart. The following day the port engine started well, I ran it in and out of gear for 20 minutes or so, no problems. Once I shut the engine off, it would not start. For six days the engine would not start, it turns over very well, but will not start. I have changed the CDI and the problem is the same, it has started once with the new CDI but will not restart once I turn the engine off. The carb has been rebuilt, the fuel is via a water filter/seperator, new plugs.

Any suggestions?

MIDORI
Brian
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Starting Problems

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Shoot it!!!!
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Midori,

It sounds like a bad stator. I had exactly the same conditions and after changing the CDI decided to do the stator. Now runs great. You can order a new one on the internet from boats.net. They cost about $225.00. You will need a flywheel puller to do the job.
We are leaving tomorrow for Marathon and then on to Bimini and the Exumas, but will probably be about Sunday or Monday before we get to Marathon. Joining us will be "Prairie Dream". I have the tools to change out the stator if we end up in Boot Key at the same time.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Midori,

I assume you have tried changing sparkplugs. One fouled plug grounds out the whole system since both plugs fire at the same time.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

The results, by MIDORI
I did think of shooting the engine.
Changing the CDI did not do the fix.
I pulled the fly wheel, lots of corrosion on the inside surface of the fly wheel which I sanded. I changed the stator and exciter which appears to have fixed the problem.

Many thanks to the web sites participants for thier help.

MIDORI
Brian