Stators and CDIs

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Stators and CDIs

Post by carib sailor »

How many of us have had to replace stators and CDIs and how long do they seem to last?

Do stators fail due to corrosion? They do get hot up there on the top of the engine. Add in a little salty air and it would seem a perfect breeding ground for rust.

What about CDIs? Do they fail often?

How long do they last?
Last edited by carib sailor on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Stators and CDIs

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I owned hull #89 from 2001 to 2008 and, while I had all the spares aboard, my primary problems were with the carb. I know others had multiple problems with stators and cdi's.. I had none... however, the level of carb problems was sufficient to cause serious dislike for the engines... when the worked.. they were great.... when they didn't, it was not good.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
PDQ-Dave
skipper
skipper

Re: Stators and CDIs

Post by PDQ-Dave »

Just had a Stator Assembly fail on a 2004 T9.9. The failure was progressive making starting very difficult, but once the engine was running it ran normally. Spark was weak or nonexistent.

The Charge Coil (part of the stator assembly) had clearly overheated and was discolored. A continuity check between either the Blue or Brown wires and ground (black) indicated that the coil was compromised and leaking power (0.265 on 2K Ohm scale) to ground (thus the weak spark?) There should be no continuity between Blue or Brown wires and ground (black).

To get to the Stator Assembly you'll need a 22MM socket wrench, a wheel puller a way to keep the fly wheel from turning and some brute strength. I used a piece of rope attached to the flywheel and tied it off to the lifting handle to immobilize the fly wheel (not perfect, but we are sailing in Belize while I make repairs).
Dave Kane
Previous owner of Pacifica #36068
http://www.DKsail.com
http://www.PDQ36.blogspot.com