New Yamaha 9.9s installed

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
rzaweski
deckhand
deckhand

Re: New Yamaha 9.9s installed

Post by rzaweski »

Hello, This is PDQ 32027 (1997 Altair anniversary model) Z-Breeze (formerly Bird of Paradise) and first time poster.
We are located in Centerport, LI, NY and keep the boat in Stamford CT.
I've been following your posts re the installation of the T9.9 GPXR's and wanted to know if anyone has anything new to report re perfomance or other issues.
I am contemplating replacing my EXHA's and looking for a dealer willing to take on the task.
I've had a heck of a time getting the old motors in and out every season and wondered if there was much variation in the engine hatch openings.
I studied the pictures of your installation and was surprised by the space on the sides of the motors.
Any information woud be appreciated.
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

Hello to everyone.
MIDORI has had one full season of opperation with the new 9.9's. Our season started in Brunswick Georgia, south to Boot Key Harbour in Marathon Florida, departing Boot Key directly to Nassau . We spent a couple months in the EXUMAS going as far south as Staniel Cay. Our return trip was non stop from Nassau to Dinner Key, south of Miami then back south to Boot Key . We ended the season with a trip across Florida Bay to Shark River and left MIDORI on the hard at Charlotte Harbour Boat Yard.

The new 9.9 performed flawlessly.

As for statistical performance I really do not have anything to compare to. The new engines are a smaller cc and "feel" like they have less power, but they perform well. Fuel economy was excellent.

If I were to replace the engines again, I would very seriously return to a manual tilt. The power tilt is nice, but it drags in the water. There is no doubt that the motor mount dragging in the water is having a negative impact on performance.

I welcome any questions.

Brian
MIDORI
Brian
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

rzaweski wrote:Hello, This is PDQ 32027 (1997 Altair anniversary model) Z-Breeze (formerly Bird of Paradise) and first time poster.
We are located in Centerport, LI, NY and keep the boat in Stamford CT.
I've been following your posts re the installation of the T9.9 GPXR's and wanted to know if anyone has anything new to report re perfomance or other issues.
I am contemplating replacing my EXHA's and looking for a dealer willing to take on the task.
I've had a heck of a time getting the old motors in and out every season and wondered if there was much variation in the engine hatch openings.
I studied the pictures of your installation and was surprised by the space on the sides of the motors.
Any information woud be appreciated.
I made a long post on my engine swap - perhaps you will find something of interest.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2009/ ... n-pdq.html

I'm not sure why you would pull them each year. All of the service (lower unit, oil, carb) can be easily done in place, or at least more easily than pulling them out. The crux for me was not the space but the linkages.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

jak430 wrote:I am ordering two Yamaha 2009 T9.9 GPXR engines for our new 'Dream Catcher' PDQ32 Hull #17.
I was going to order the manual tilt GEXH model but the dealer said the power tilt was $1000 cheaper due to all the extras required to convert the tiller to remote operation.
I am concerning about the bracket dragging in the water under sail. Have made any changes to raise them up a bit?
We are also considering transom extensions and this may help raise the water line a little.
John & Regina
'Dream Catcher" 32017
I put in 2 new GEXH this spring based on the KISS philosophy. Manual tilt and manual choke both work great and I like the simplicity. I think the remote kit that replaces the tiller handle is mybe a hundred dollars? Your dealer sounds like he has a couple power tilt motors in stock that he wants to sell.
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Post by carib sailor »

In regard to a previous post here, I have been meaning to get around to posting this confirmation for a while.

For those of you with the new Yamaha T9.9GPXR type outboards and Yamaha key switches:

When starting the engine, if you press the key in and hold it in while the starter turns the engine over, the choke will be engaged and your engines will start almost immediately.

The key actuated choke mechanism is actually an electric solenoid that rotates the choke plate in the carburetor throat when you hold the key in, quite similar to what happens when you pull the manual choke knob on the front of the engine.
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

In the spirit of information sharing and trying to make sure we all are getting a fair shake......here's what I got.

I had 2 new T9.9 GEXH Yamahas installed in my 1993 PDQ 36 back in March of this year 2010.
Manufactured dates are 09/2007 and 03/2008 on the engines.
I got a 3 year warrenty that ends in 2013.
The dealer replaced the tiller arms with the remote kit and I received the tiller parts.
Both had new throttle cables and shift cables installed back to the binnacle.
The engines are manual tilt and manual choke.
I paid $2950 each, installed by a North Carolina yamaha dealer thru the yard broker that sold me the boat.
So just under $6K for the pair installed.
I thought it was a pretty fair deal.

I have had to do some modification/grinding of the fiberglass in the engine compartment to alleviate some rubbing on the new cables that was wearing down the plastic sheathing on them. That was abpout a half hour job.

Both are running great through a trip moving up to the Chesapeake and have near 100 hours on them now.
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

From a previous request, here are 2 photos of the bracket I made to hold the engine in a fixed position. There are no modifications required to the engine, just bolt on.
bracket 2.png
Bracket.png
bracket 2.png
Brian