New Yamaha 9.9s installed

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

New Yamaha 9.9s installed

Post by MIDORI »

Installation of the new, 2009 T9.9 GPXR Yamaha engine for PDQ 32032 MIDORI

Information for the new engines is available from YAMAHA 866-894-1626. They do not use E mail, but will FAX the information. The available information such as Model Code Reference Chart and Rigging Information are both valuable reference material.

This installation is for the GPXR which is remote control power tilt. The power tilt motor has the 12.8 inch engine clamp bracket. This bracket will hang lower than the nacelle and be a drag in the water.

There is the alternative engine model T9.9 GEXH which is manual tilt with a tiller handle. An optional remote kit would be required to give remote control. The engine clamp bracket is 7.4 inches and would not drag in the water. Check the Rigging Information for measurements and wiring.

For this installation:
2 - T9.9 GPXR engines
2 - Multifunctional tachometers - tach and hour meter (digital, very cool). NOTE: There is no tachometer lead on these little engines and tampering will void the warranty. The tach DOES work, with the new harness and binnacle. 100 RPM increments.
Model 704 Premium twin binnacle control (has tilt controls built in - no need for separate tilt switch and also set up for the push-pull cable installation) - recommended.
2 - 16 foot wire harnesses. NOTE: With the new binnacle, a separate tilt wire harness is not required nor the separate tilt switch.
1 - Twin key switch panel which works with the new wire harness - recommended.
2. Custom made aluminum angle (2” x 3 ½”) bracket and bolts to fix the engines in the straight ahead position.
Miscellaneous wire ties, caulk, etc.

The purchase was with LENTINE MARINE http://www.lentinemarine.com, Capt Lou captlou@lentinemarine.com or phone 772-221-3777. The service was excellent, the pricing will be on an individual basis.

In our circumstance, LENTINE MARINE also did the installation. This was a first for LENTINE MARINE to re-power a sailboat, however, their service and professionalism was excellent. Joe and Eric did the physical, IN THE WATER, installation, no hoist required as the engine is 111 pounds and physically small to fit the engine locker.

For MIDORI, the engine does not completely tilt out of the water. I believe this is due to the reverse angle of my transom. I will work this out. Once I have some hours on the engines I will comment on power and operation.

MIDORI
Brian
next exit
skipper
skipper

Re: New Yamaha 9.9s installed

Post by next exit »

When you say binnacle, what are you referring to?
Don Wilson
Next Exit
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Binnacle is the throttle/shift lever assembly. Its a traditional phrase that refers to the stuff at the helm, originally just a compass and compensator balls; later engine controls and instruments. :D
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Finally got the link up for the pics:

http://www.pdq36.com/NewYamahas.ppt

The link is about halfway down the list at the top of the www.pdq36.com website, entitled:

Installing New Yamaha T9.9GPXR into the PDQ32

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Midori, the engine install looks great. Can you give us some feedback on if the extension of the power tilt feature extending into the water below the nacelle has any negative effects. Do you get excess water in the nacelle well? Also, the new motors don't seem to have aligning pins to keep them at right angles to the mounting bracket. How did you accomplish proper alignment?

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

MIDORI has only 59 hours of motoring/motor sailing on the ICW for performance to date.The power trim bracket does drag in the water and there is more water in the nacelle, however, the nacelle is self draining. The water will gush up between the transom and the engine bracket. I have not experienced any negative effects. It remains to be seen what the effect will be in larger seas and with the engine tilted up for sailing.
MIDORI's nacelle has a reverse angle to the transom and will require shimming a full 2 inches for the new engine to hang vertical.
Has anyone repowered with the manual tilt?
It would be helpfull if any of the other boats that have repowered would add their comments.
To fix the engines in the dead ahead position, a piece of aluminum (angle iron) was used, with 3 bolts to fix the engine to the mount bracket. This was a very simple process and effective, the only drilling was to the aluminum, the engine and mount bracket have existing holes.
I will be pleased to answer any questions and share information.
MIDORI
Brian
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I looked at the pictures on Sam's site. The install looks good especially at the helm. Couple of questions though:

1. With the bracket in the water all the time isn't corrosion going to be a problem very quickly?

2. Could the engine have been mounted up higher in the transom to avoid this?

3. In the front view picture I see a choke knob. Do these engines not have the electric choke?
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

In respnonse to AMYTOM
1. I questioned the dealer on the corrosion exposure, he responded that most power boats have the engine bracket in the water. Note there is a second ANODE on the engine bracket to assist in preventing corrosion.

2. The engine could be lifted, but too much lift would defeat having the long shaft and impair the fit in the engine locker. If the bracket being in the water is an issue, you could consider the manual lift, the engine fits.

3. The engines are manual choke. (less is simple)

MIDORI
Brian
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Post by carib sailor »

Nice install.
Last edited by carib sailor on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

Reply to Carib Sailor

I have only used the choke once and that was manually. Typically with the new binnacle, I set the throttle at fast idle, and after 2 or 3 attempts, the engines start and I let them warm for 5 to 10 minutes.

The new ignition panel is designed to push key to choke while starting, I never tried this duh!!!

The owner's manual does state the choke can be operated remotely, unfortunately I cannot confirm this.

MIDORI
Brian
delmitch2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by delmitch2 »

Thought I would come out of the wordwork and stop lurking!
Yes, I have a catamaran.
No, it's not a PDQ (boo, hiss, it's a Gemini 105M :wink:
Yes, last week I installed twin Yamaha T9.9's (thanks for the advice Sandy). This forum is much more helpful when it comes to engines than the Gemini Forum (I didn't want a Sillette outdrive leg-equipped boat).

I can confirm that the choke works with the key switch.

Mark.
jak430
skipper
skipper

Post by jak430 »

I am ordering two Yamaha 2009 T9.9 GPXR engines for our new 'Dream Catcher' PDQ32 Hull #17.
I was going to order the manual tilt GEXH model but the dealer said the power tilt was $1000 cheaper due to all the extras required to convert the tiller to remote operation.
I am concerning about the bracket dragging in the water under sail. Have made any changes to raise them up a bit?
We are also considering transom extensions and this may help raise the water line a little.
John & Regina
'Dream Catcher" 32017
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

After a season of dragging thier heels (the extended bracket for the trim motor), my engines report no ill effects. Since they are wetted by wavelets under the boat, they sustained a small collection of barnacles. Mary Kate On-OFF removed them. There was a little preliminary corrosion under the barnacles because they disolved the paint. Wire brush, a few dabs of yamaha touchup paint, and a coat of antifouling for outboards and outdrives were the preparations for this season. To date, no barnacles. Also, no noticeable effect on speed under power. Under the hatch under way, everything is as wet as, well, an outboard engine. The manual choke makes for easy starts on the first try.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
jak430
skipper
skipper

Post by jak430 »

We now have new 9.9's with power tilt. They worked great on the first outing in San Diego Bay.
We had the installers add a 1" shim to the mounting brackets to get the engines out of the water. The bracket is still in the water about a 1/2".
I had the new tachometers ordered but the Yamaha dealer said the wiring harness was not compatible. I need to add extensions for the fresh water wash since it is hard to reach inside to attach end.
John & Regina
'DreamCatcher' #32017
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

Brian, could you post a picture of the bracket fixing the alignment?

Thx
Don Wilson
Next Exit