Engine mounts

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Engine mounts

Post by carib sailor »

Question

How many of you have installed bolts through the back of the outboard engine mounts into the transoms on your boats?

Are your engines secured with bolts through the back?

What about safety lanyards in case one tries to abandon ship? Do you have safety lanyards attached? if so what are they made of?
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Engine mounts

Post by Page 83 »

No bolts, no lanyards.

At one time my mounts were loose enough to let the engine tilt up enough in reverse to chew on the engine lift lanyard. Tightning the clamps helped, but I knew there was a problem there.

When I installed the 8's I had to cut away some of the glass over the internal plywood 'transom' core in the engine nacelles. I found one side very wet and punky in places, and opened it up enough to get to the wood. I dried it out with alcohol over several weeks and injected as much of it as I could with git-rot. It hardened nicely so I glassed over the whole thing and haven't had a problem since, but I expect to have to cut it out and replace it eventually.

I don't want any extra holes in the nacelle, no matter how good I think I am at water-proofing them! Besides, with the lid closed, they can't escape.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026