Finally pulled the engines; now what?

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
amytom
admiral
admiral

Finally pulled the engines; now what?

Post by amytom »

I pulled both engines and the binnacle and cables. Aside from carb issues the pivot brackets and the shift and throttle cables have become stiff.

The removal was an extreme cuss-a-thon. There is a special place in hell for the guy who thought up plastic handles for the mounting clamp bolts. I also found every peice of non-stainless hardware installed by POs most of it on the cable brackets. And I learned the hard way that the tilt rope needs to be used to angle the engine head out of the cockpit opening. Oh-well, now it's done.

Next would be to loosen up the tilt bracket and the mounting bolts; I assume penetrating oil is the starting point then dissassemble, clean, polish, grease, re-assemble. Which type of grease?

Then the shift and throttle cables. I assume I pull the cable out from the jacket but what do I use to clean and then again which lube for re-assembly?
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Finally pulled the engines; now what?

Post by Page 83 »

Examine those cables thoroughly before you invest any time in re-using them. There weren't lubricated to begin with: some have plastic liners that the push-pull part runs through, and once they are worn, its time to replace them. The outer case of the cables will wear away where is rubs on something, exposing the wire wrap, which will immediately rust, and eventually develop meat hooks worse than a cactus with an attitude. Just trash them and buy new.
The tilt latch may be bent slightly off perpendicular to its axle. Either replace it (preferred) or carefully straighten it out. What ever bent it in the first place will be back. I use Lithium grease for every thing.
While its out, you should seperate the lower end and replace the water pump impeller. A quick course in several Romance languages, and Russian, will provide the vocabulary required to get through THAT ordeal! If you want to sail again this season, take them to a mechanic at an authorized dealership that can get parts.
GOOD LUCK!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Okay, the binnacle is done; the port cables are in great shape but the starboard ones need to be replaced. They are the Yamaha brand cables but I was hoping to use the WestMarine Teleflex3300 cables to replace with.

Next item was the mounting bolts, lot's of penetrating oil, de-greaser, sweat and profanity. Now they turn easily by hand.

Current item is the main pivot point for tilt. I've removed the nuts on both sides and removed the lower crossbar and both halves of the bracket can be rotated slightly by using a long 2x4 on each as a handle. What is the trick to pulling apart this pivot point?
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Frequent readers may want to frame my response:

I don't know. :shock:

Did you download the illustrated parts breakdown from the Yamaha site? A picture usually helps!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

:shock: I never thought I'd see those words coming from your keyboard :shock:

I think I may have found the answer though, It doesn't come apart.
Looking at the length of the pivot tube only about one inch of it is in contact with the engine side but about 5 or 6 inches in contact with the brackets. Of course the tube is frozen to the brackets and will stay with them as the engine tilts up and down. I can loosen the tube to engine motion with oils and grease through the grease points.

Now the tilt lock lever will have to be modified. I'm considering using some ss wire attached to the tilt lever at the top rod and threading that out to the pull rope.

Of course I could just cut the pivot tube in half with a dremmel and replace the tube and both brackets but then I've put $300.00 just into the tilt of each motor, they're in bad shape ovewrall and this will just buy me time until I can save up and replace them.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Marc,
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have another version of that setup shown here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1598. Problem is that the cowlings are cracked and the port engine has a broken bracket holding the flywheel cover. Got to the point of the flywheel scraping the cover everytime I put it in reverse. Of course fixing the front cover bracket might take care of that.

Tom
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Anytom, cowling crack caused by the rope, or was it prio

Post by thinwater »

I like the system. I wonder if some preemptive reinforcement is in order.

I have the stock arraignment and it has cost me a prop hub and 2 ropes. Now I check EVERY time.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Thinwater,
The cowling cracks were like that from PO. The internal face bracket that holds up the front and the flywheel cover was my own stupidity. The engine that has that bracket intact holds down okay.

All, esp. Sandy and Tom
Another question, while researching some parts on Boats.net I found they have Yamaha brand control cables at comparable prices. What are the preferences between those and the Teleflex from West Marine?
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

FWIW...I put in the Yamaha control cables in 05/2006. So far (knock on wood), they have held up very well. I can't remember the cost difference, but they couldn't have been much more expensive at the time.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Thanks Chris. I think the Yamaha cables are a couple of bucks cheaper due to the difference in vendor (boats.net vs. west marine) I was leaning in that direction.