Coil readings

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
amytom
admiral
admiral

Coil readings

Post by amytom »

Using the Yamaha service manual I'm going through my engines with a fine tooth comb. One of my engines had a problem staying running when returning to idle after being under load. Probably a carb issue but I wanted to ensure the coils and CDI were in good shape.
The tests in the book show various readings for the CDI, charge coil, pulser coil, oil switch, and lighting circuit. all the ignition voltages are given as DC levels but my readings are all closer in the AC values (althoug riding on a lower DC level). Looking at the circuits it appears that they chould be AC; is the book wrong?
I've changed the coil out with an old spare (thanks Tom) with similar readings now I'll try a new in the box coil as well. I will also test a couple of CDI units I have laying around (again, thanks Tom).

The engine runs on the stand nicely but I want to be sure the problem is gone.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Coil readings

Post by amytom »

Well, looks like the book is incorrect. The voltages are all AC and a little low even with new parts and the same for the other engine on the stand.

These engines have a very simple ignition system once you stop thinking about it like a car engine; think lawn mower instead.

The other (stbd) engine had low water flow so I braved pulling the lower unit and got lucky. Spent about 15 minutes tapping with a mallett and it came right off. new impeller and new seals and it's great now.

Now it's time to re-install maybe the Admiral will let me play this weekend.