Is it easier to to remove the engines up or down?

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Is it easier to to remove the engines up or down?

Post by thinwater »

I need to pull both of mine: one for a water pump only (port), the other I think I may replace (starboard). The starboard engine needs a water pump, is leaking oil, is smoking some, has probably seen over heating and low oil, and is 12+ years old.

I understand how to pull them up with a hoist - sounds easy enough - but since I need to pull both, I'm thinking hauling the boat is not that big of a deal. My back isn't what it was, and lugging engines off to the dock sounds like a reciepe for disaster, for my back. Unfortunatly, I have no other need to haul - I painted her ~ 4 months ago. Still, hauling is cheaper than doctors.

I believe I will simple replace the engines in-kind. No reasonable horsepower increase is going to change the speed much, from what I see, and I like the backing power I have. I dock between piles in a tide and need good twin engines. Will the cables match up, or is the change in year a big problem? Both the engine cables and stearing cables seem to have been well maintained and show no wear or corrosion.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Is it easier to to remove the engines up or down?

Post by Page 83 »

I could lower mine out of the wells on my 1993 36' by rotating them 180 degrees while hanging by the flywheel screws. I used the main halyard thru a block and back up to the boom.
There is a change in the wiring harness sopmewhere around 2005 - 2006, and My Motorhead Buddy Rick was able to cut and splice what I had. If you go to trim and tilt, (most highly recommended!) you will be better off replacing all the wiring ($$$) as you will also need switches at the helm. I found a used binnacle on Ebay for $250. It has built-in trim switches.
Don't forget to get some new hour meters.

I have two 2000-era 9.9s that were running well when I replaced them, plus a box full of parts and pieces, hour meters, and most of the original binnacle (throttle quadrant) As Tom will tell you, I'm a tough man to deal with!

By the way, I seem to have acquired 8 props, from new to deserving decent burial.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Your not difficult at all Sandy; just too far away. I've been waiting for three factors: having money on hand, having time to travel up there, frustration factor with the existing engines. When all three of those line up I'll ask again if you still have them.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Page 83, I'll see you Friday, I think.

Post by thinwater »

Yes, those engines might be good for me. See you tomarrow.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I had 36089 and found that it is easier physically to drop the engines down while the boat is on the hard. Just use a block and tackle...used the preventer... and lowered it down. It's very helpful if you have some young folks with good backs to get it into the truck. I did have a plate and hook assembly that bolted to the flywheel to attach the block and tackle.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108