Tripping over 9.9's

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
amytom
admiral
admiral

Tripping over 9.9's

Post by amytom »

One of the many wonderful people I've met through this forum has supplied with me with a project to chew up the last of my spare time with. Of course I jumped at it!!! I now have five 9.9's in my garage all needing various levels of TLC. Of course the first line of business is a full spa treatment on the carbs and an attitude adjustment on the tilt brackets.
It appears these motors had started their lives in a non PDQ configuration and don't have the two add-ons that are usually found; the flush fitting amd the pulley bracket attached to the lower unit bolt. I've found the flush fitting (Yamaha P/N ABB-FLUSH-JD but the Mercury fitting (16841A 2) allows more flow) but I can't seem to find a part number or source for the pulley bracket on the lower unit.

Any ideas?
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Re: Tripping over 9.9's

Post by Allezcat »

I have no idea where the original PDQ brakets came from but I fashioned a replacement using the flat plate of a U-bolt such as those in West catalogue Pg648. I just bent it to the correct angle in a vise, fitted the block, and bolted it to the lower unit.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Great Idea! Thanks Chet.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Reguarding the tilt...

Post by thinwater »

I found PB Blaster and the firm application of a pin punch (to avoid bending the tab) to work pretty well. But not well enough to get the spring gadget working again.

As for starting them off the boat, I took an extra cable and made an "ignition switch" for it using 2 light switches.

The wost part was getting the beasts in and out of the barrel.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

No tastefully decorated PDQ Forum home is complete without at least one outboard engine hanging from a tree!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026