Cable lengths for new 9.9s

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Cable lengths for new 9.9s

Post by windrush »

Hi folks;
Hope you don't mind me picking your brain. We've recently purchased a PDQ 36 from Rick Kilmer (The Cat's Aweigh - 36074) and while she's being stored until we can get come down to sail her away, I've decided to replace the old 9.9s with the new 9.9s from Yamaha. Because we're not down there and to keep the warranty, we're having the refit done by Marsha Harbor Marina at Snead Island Boatworks where she's on the hard. From reading the forum on this, it sounds like we need 14' and 16' cables to mate with the new binnacle, but the folks at the marina say that the existing cables are only 10' and 14', and suggest we stay with that length. Just looking for confirmation and recommendations.
If anyone is interested in the 9.9s that we're removing, PM me. They were working well when we moved her but I'd like the piece of mind that comes with the new motors (and the ability to raise them so easily too. :D ) There's also a spare motor that Rick threw in that has a few parts missing, if anyone's interested!
swithen
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Cable lengths for new 9.9s

Post by swithen »

HI!

I just installed the new smaller (212 cc) engines (without power tilt) and replaced the old 10’ and 14’ cables with new. The new (vastly improved) bracket fastening the cables to the engines required drilling new holes further back in the “hatches” behind the engines and cutting slots in the FG in the engine compartment. You may want to coat the brackets with anti-corrosion compound.

Best wishes with Cats Aweigh!

Colin Swithenbank
Cadenza 36051
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, I would be interested in the old engines. where are they located?
Marc 267-250-7290 zayda715@aol.com
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Post by windrush »

Thanks for your suggestion Colin. The engines are now finally in place and we'll definately coat the brackets well. I'm a little concerned about how deep they drop below the nacelle, but the reports on our forum suggest that may not be an issue. (Tom on Dream Catcher, if you read this, how are the home-made fiberglass deflectors you made working out?) The people putting the engines in did not mention that they had to make any modifications but I'll check that out. And for anybody wondering, the 10' and 14' cables are what was used! Thanks for the well wishes Colin. We can't wait to put her back into the water in early July and sail away.
Marc, I sold the old engines shortly after the first post... sorry.

Bruce Marshall
Windrush - 36074