wiring problem

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

wiring problem

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, this past spring I picked up a 2001 engine with low hours. It had a tiller, soI had to rewire for remote operation. My engines have a red fused wire for battery charging. I must have connected it incorrectly, because it's not working. None of the wiring diagrams show how this wire is connected. It appears to go to an outboard regulator, then to the battery charger. I thought that I could copy the wiring from my other engine, but that's not working either. That one was rewired by a mechanic about 2 years ago. I haven't been getting much charging from the engines, but now I'm getting none.
Does anyone else have this separate red wire, and if so, could you please tell me how it's connected.
Thanks, Marc
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: wiring problem

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hi Marc,
It has been awhile but I remember the red wire going to the fuse located in the engine well. Don't know where it went in the engine .. so I can't help you there. I also had little or no charging from my engines but found out that the fuses and the holders were corroded so badly that they were useless.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hey Marc,
You should be getting about 9 amps out of each outboard. Check all the wiring and connections. The rectifier may also be bad. Perhaps you have a spare one you could change out?
Chet
Attachments
T9.9 Charging system.jpg
T9.9 Charging system.jpg (185.92 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi Chet , Thanks for the wiring diagrams. My boat was originally wired to 2 APC Smart Outboard Regulators, that don't seem to be working. I have the literature, but it doesn't tell how to wire the engines. APC seems to be on the rocks, so I can't get any info from them.
So, now I'm thinking to just bypass the regulators, and wire directly to the batteries. I have 4-6v gellcells, and I'm worried about having un-regulated charging ruin my batteries. Is there something that I could install to protect the batts? If so, where would it be connected.
Thanks, Marc
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Marc,
I think those regulators are useless and may have ruined your charging system. The 9.9 has permanent magnets in the flywheel. Whenever the engine is running these magnets passing the coils of wire in the stator are trying to generate a voltage to charge batteries or run other loads. If the batteries are already charged(about 14.2V) the voltage starts to rise as the charging system tries to "jam" this excess power into the batteries. This continues with a corresponding voltage rise until the electrolyte starts to boil or in the case of a gel battery, it gases, and the relief valve opens to prevent explosion. Essentially the batteries are ruined. If you try to prevent this by opening the circuit (with a regulator) the voltage in the stator goes so high it will probably ruin the coils in the stator by arcing. The only solution I have found is to use a 150 Watt light bulb desklamp plugged into my 120V AC system. I turn this on as the voltage approaches 14.5V. This draws its power from the 12V DC system through the inverter "sucking up" the excess 15-16 amps of DC being generated by the engines. I must remember to turn the light off after I shut dowm the engines. It seems to balance out very well because 150Watts = 12V X 12.5Amps plus losses in the Inverter. Any load (cabin lighting, water heating, etc) approximating 14-15 amps should also work.
Have I made this clear as mud?
By the way, I am not an electrical engineer so take this for what its worth. (Disclaimer)

Chet