What engines will fit 1990 PDQ 36'

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Kevincaptnoshooz
deckhand
deckhand

What engines will fit 1990 PDQ 36'

Post by Kevincaptnoshooz »

I need to replace both engines. If anyone knows a source it would be a huge help. Power tilt would be nice. What options do not require any modifications? Thanks
Dame
deckhand
deckhand

Re: What engines will fit 1990 PDQ 36'

Post by Dame »

shipyard island marina-will customize the engines to your needs and ship the engines to you-service is great-google ehem and talk w/ andy jr. I purchased a pair in december and they were great!
dave irvine
Dame-PDQ 36
Crystal River,fl
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Yamaha T9.9 outboards are what most use but I have heard of someone using Honda 15's.
I bought T9.9 GEXH's last year and they fit pretty well. GEXH is the long shaft without powertilt and manual choke.
I tend to go for the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle. Less things to go wrong.
Be aware that the power tilt brackets stick down to the water even with engines raised.
I replaced throttle and shift cables at the same time...even though the old ones were in good shape, it seemed prudent.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

The Yamaha High Thrust T9.9s (and the 8s) are unique among outboards for our use. They alone have a near 3:1 gear ratio and room for 11 3/4" diameter props. That means that they can develop thier max hp at less than 10 knots. The Honda 15 has enough power to cavitate their smaller, faster props, yeilding a tiny fraction of the thrust required. If you close the throttles to a point where they stop cavitating, you are developing less thrust than the Yamahas.

That is why they are found in PDQ's, Seawinds, Maine Cats, custom cats, Some older Gemini's, you name it. They work best. The rest are designed for pushing light boats around at speeds in the high teens, never reaching their rated power at our speeds.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Kevincaptnoshooz
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Kevincaptnoshooz »

Thank You to all for your responses. Much appreciated!
Magic Time
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Magic Time »

Saw this post very late but thought I should let you know just in case you are haveing problems fitting the Yamaha
I have the Altair 32 with T9.9 High Thrust Yamaha's.
I don't know the details of the 36' but on the 32 the engin wells are very small.
A T9.9 that I looked at in the usa would not fit into the well.
The T9.9 that is avalable in the usa is a detuned 15hp. It is phisically larger than the T9.9 that was purchased by pdq in Canada.
Ask for the "Outboard Rigging Guide" for any motor you look at. It will give you all the necessary overall dimensions.
Hope this is usfull.
Magic Time
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I just helped one of our members change out the older 9.9 with the newer 9.9 gexh on his 36. I thought the opposite was true, the older ones look like detuned 15's while the newer ones appear to be bored out t8's. Newer ones feel quite a bit lighter.

A few months ago I also helped another friend install the new 9.9's on his 32.

I believe the engine wells are about the same size on the 32 as the 36. The 36's are just deeper. In either case the new smaller engines will fit with no problem.