T9.9 XEHA Shipyard Island Marina

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
jimlong
admiral
admiral

T9.9 XEHA Shipyard Island Marina

Post by jimlong »

Hi all,
Recently I repowered the catamaran with new T9.9's and wanted to report what a pleasure it was doing business with the folks at Shipyard Island. This is a family run business located on Washington Island in Wisconsin and the man to speak with is Andy Munao Jr. I explained to him that I wanted to purchase the XEHA models and operate them remotely from the helm on my catamaran. He agreed to do the conversion ie. removing the throttle control arms, adding the cable brackets and wiring in the harnesses that I provided and in return he would keep the throttle control arms. I paid $5650 for the pair including shipping and warranty and they arrived in Orlando five days later via Fedex. I also want to thank Tom Peterson (s/v Doghouse) a fellow PDQer who I'm sure most of you know and his son Shawn for helping me with the repower and for Tom's electrical expertise, thanks Tom I owe you big time. While I don't have any performance data yet I can tell you that they are smaller, the cowling will fit through the locker without turning it sideways and they are much quieter. For those of you considering new engines I just wanted to let you know that Shipyard Island is a top notch outfit and before you commit to someone else at least give Andy a call and compare. They also have the electric tilt models. Jim
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: T9.9 XEHA Shipyard Island Marina

Post by doubledutch »

Thanks for the report. I was particularily interested in hearing that the new engines were not as noisy. I was not aware that they had made changes that would make the engines much quieter. Let us know how they perform.

Henry
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Henry,

I believe the quiet is a function of them being new engines. Even out of the water running on "ear muffs" they were a joy to hear.

Jim,
I thoroughly enjoyed working with you on this and I'm happy to continue helping in any way I can. "Will work for chile peppers" :D

Tom
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Jim,
Please identify the cable harnesses you provided to Shipyard.

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Lady of the Lake wrote:Jim,
Please identify the cable harnesses you provided to Shipyard.

Thanks,
Sam

Sam,

We took the electrical harness off of the old engines. Just the part from the main connector to the connector block next to the spark control module. There is also a ground lug or two in the mix. It comes off pretty easily and Andy wired it in for us. You could also wire it in on your own if you don't want to tear open your old engines before the new ones come in.

Tom
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

Sam,
Looks like I'm a little slow in checking the board, I've been enjoying the great fishing just East of Molasses reef in my catamaran/sportfisher. I'm the only catamaran amongst all the sportfisher's trolling the weed lines.
Anyway yeah Tom hooked up the electrical cables and installed new hour meters as well (thanks Tom).
By the way, the nacelles on the new engines at their widest point are 12 inches and I installed an additional sheave that will allow you to lower the engines by pulling the tab up with an attached line.
Hope this helps, Jim
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Good deal, I just bought 2...
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL