Replaced the 9.9's today

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

Replaced the 9.9's today

Post by wake up »

Followed Tom Long and ordered them from Shipyard island marina. XEHA converted to remotes. Kept my original 7 pin harness. Also changed out the cables with yamaha premier 11 one 14ft set one 10 ft set.
Dropped them in pretty quickly, they seam slightly smaller than my 2004 motors. They also sit lower which made the throttle cable a real pain to connect. In the end i disconnected the Morse control end lifted the motor to the point where it was easy to see everything, then it went pretty easily except i put the morse back together and the throttle didn't work. The new motors are push to throttle my old ones were pull to throttle so had to take the morse apart again and flip the cams.
My advice
1 replace the cables at the ame time, the new motors have a flip over clip, my old ones would not seat in it. Might think about longer cables so the motor could be lifted without disconnecting the control end. Not sure where the extra cable would go though.
2 Make shure your controls are set push to throttle. If not the directions are in the morse manual
3 connect the throttle 1st, the gear is easy.
4 order a spare cotter pin or 2 you wont have to go to west marine when you drop it over board.
5 Take the cowling off when you drop the motor in. you wont scratch you nice new cowling like i did.

About 4 hours including a trip to west marine for a new cotter.

I recomend Andy at Shipyard Island. My local Yamaha dealer would ony offer remotes with power tilt. That meant changing out the harness,switches, meters etc. A lot of extra costs.

Regards
Paul
Steel Sails
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: Replaced the 9.9's today

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Paul, what is the width measurement of the widest part of the motor? Also, what mechanism is used for lowering the motor, releasing it from the locked up position? Finally, is there a flush mechanism accessible when the motor is installed?

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

Post by wake up »

Sam, i'll have to get back to you on the width measurement, i'll check it this weekend.

It has a tab/small plate button that pushes. I gave the assembly a liberal coating of corrosion X. On a side note one of the reasons i replaced the motors was the siezing of the lock on the old ones.

They use the same rope and pulley system as originals. I removed the tabs from the old motors and re-used them.

There is a flush and it is accesible, though i havent actually tried it out yet.

There is a friction slide brake to hold the motors in the straight ahead position so i didn't reuse the straight ahead lock plate.

Regards
Paul
Steel Sail 36067
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Thanks Paul, I am ordering a pair today!

Tom, might need you to spend some time with me in Punta Gorda...

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL