Alternative make of outboard for Altair 32

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Magic Time
1st mate
1st mate

Alternative make of outboard for Altair 32

Post by Magic Time »

Has anyone used any other make or model of outboard other than Yamaha T9.9?
If so, please post details. Also any information regarding horse power increasing modifications.
I need to replace a motor and would like to consider alternatives.
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Re: Alternative make of outboard for Altair 32

Post by NautiBits »

My boat, 2000 PDQ36, has Yamaha high thrust 4stroke 8s. There is at least one other 36 with the 8s installed. It does not appear that the engine compartment needs any mods to accommodate the 8s. They move the boat adequately. They would probably support the PDQ32.
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Alternative make of outboard for Altair 32

Post by Page 83 »

Magic Time: you should search the older message files for engine discussions. Essentially, the Yamaha 9.9s and High Thrust 8's are the optimum choices, because they are the only available engines geared to run at peak power rpm in the speed range we operate. A Honda BF20 delivers less thrust because at 7-10 knots it is only developing 10 hp and trying to push the boat with a small diameter prop. At nine to 10 knots our cats start to raise the bows and push a lot of water. We would need a lot narrower hulls to go mush faster under power, and some more waterline would be nice. I don't think any manufacturer would want to build a better motor for cats; we are a tiny market segment.

Some PDQ owners have tried other makes and different mounting locations. They haven't bragged about their success....
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026