Remedy for difficult tilt lever operation - post 2006 yamaha

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Remedy for difficult tilt lever operation - post 2006 yamaha

Post by danhaun »

Hi everyone,

I know that this has been discussed on pre-2006 9.9HT Yamahas but I wonder if the post 2006 models have an easier remedy.

The tilt lever has become increasing difficult to operate and requires a 6 inch wrench to operate from the unlock to lock position. There is considerable squealing with the movement indicating that something is binding the lever. Both engines are 2007 models. It gets worse with time and it started with the port engine in 2012 and now starboard too. I fear that the lever will break at some point. I tried lubricating with spray lithium grease and this seemed to make it worse. I also tried PB blaster and it seemed to improve but only marginally.

My next step would be to pull the engines and try to disassemble the brackets to find the problems. It is really swollen nylon parts causing the binding?

I was hoping that there is an easier remedy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Best regards,

Dan Haun
s/v TomKat
PDQ 32 #11
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Re: Remedy for difficult tilt lever operation - post 2006 ya

Post by danhaun »

… answering my own question so that others might benefit from my experience. I hope this is fixed for good.

I pulled the engines and tried to disassemble the brackets but the tilt tubes would not budge. I did get to grease everything else and inspect closely but could not get grease under the tilt level. So I drilled two 1/8 inch holes in the lever collar and stopped when I hit the tilt tube. It turns out that the lever is reinforced plastic (delrin or marlin?) . Then I used a needle tip on the grease gun to grease the interface between the tilt tube and lever. I injected one hole and saw grease come out the second hole. After working it back and forth with the 6 inch wrench the squealing stopped and I could work the lever by hand. I think that tilt-tube corrosion is the culprit and regular greasing prevent this from happening again.