lower case transmission oil change

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
bg5w
skipper
skipper

lower case transmission oil change

Post by bg5w »

I've seen this topic in the past, but not specific to my question. Changing the lower case transmission oil without pulling the engines into the cockpit. The suggestions about running up on a bar and waiting for low tide works great, unless you're in an area with 1.5' tidal range in Florida. Does the engine need to be directly vertical, or on an angle, as long as the lower drain is lower than the higher?

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: lower case transmission oil change

Post by amytom »

To get all the oil out it needs to be close to vertical. A partial change is still better than nothing though. The big thing is to check the oil that comes out, any water or grit and you really need to pull it and have it looked at.
Smj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Smj »

You could pull the lower unit of from a dinghy, change the lower unit oil then reinstall.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Smj wrote:You could pull the lower unit of from a dinghy, change the lower unit oil then reinstall.
WOW! Have you actually done this? I give you a lot of credit.
Marc
Smj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Smj »

I haven't but my friend on his Seawind 1000 changes his lower unit oil and impeller this way. I'm guessing the hardest part would be disconnecting the shift rod.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Disconnecting the shift rod is easy. The hard part would be lining it back up swimming in a current.
Smj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Smj »

It can be easy to disconnect the shift rod or it can take quite some time with corrosionx and gently working it loose. I've had it go both ways.
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Post by bg5w »

Thanks for the suggestions. I would think pulling the engines, and making the change in the cockpit would be easier than pulling the lower units. It's just time consuming.
My question really asks if the cavity that holds the lower unit oil is shaped more like an oval or a rectangle? If more like an oval, the drainage would be more complete.

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

The cavity is oval shaped. It's just the housing for the bearings that is filled up.