Replacement Engine(s)

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
admiral
admiral

Replacement Engine(s)

Post by 36041 »

All,

I am heading back to the states next week to among other things, secure a replacement 9.9 Yamaha for Dream Catcher. I've read thru the relevant posts here and I understand I can still get them from my guy down in Stuart, FL at Lindsey Marine, but is there anything I am missing? Anyone have anything to add before we land and start the process? All info welcomed, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Replacement Engine(s)

Post by windrush »

Hi Tom. We purchased our last two engines from Pass-A-Grille Marina (Tray Thomason Pass-A-Grille Marina 727-360-0100, 1901 Pass-A-Grille Way, St. Pete Beach, Fl. 33706) when both Boats.net and the Stuart guy were out of stock. They're on the west coast which is a pain but might be worth a price check. Boats.net is an online solution but doesn't like to ship them direct to you, using a marina shop to install them! Good luck and all the best....
Bruce
Bruce & Val Marshall
s/v Windrush - 36074
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Thanks Bruce,I'll look into them as well.

Regards,
Tom
s/v/ - Dream Catcher
www.tendervittles.net
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Far and away, best service and price, call Andy Jr at Shipyard Island Marina, 800-213-3323

Tell him they are going on a PDQ and that you heard about him on the PDQ Forum. He will even change wire harnesses for you, ready to drop in. Great price and will ship right to your location ready to go.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Thanks for the reply Sam. I called around and their prices were pretty much middle of the pack as I got quoted $2900 to $3600 from 5 different vendors. The cheapest was Boats.net but they are a bunch of clowns and won't ship you an engine unless it's to a Yamaha dealer and installed by them. What a joke.

I ended up going with the folks at Atlantic Marine in Wrightsville Beach as they were super friendly and bent over backwards to accommodate my needs. A couple of years back I converted our boat over to the 10 pin wiring harness, so no changes were needed on the new engine. Now I just need to get it delivered 1200 miles further to the south. One step at a time I guess.

Thanks for the info,
Tom
s\v - Dream Catcher
www.tendervittles.net
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by lauraj »

we may be picking up one for us on our drive down to FL. where are you?
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Thanks lauraJ but I scored our new engine a free ride to the Bahamas in exchange for helping my friend crew his 60 motor yacht down island. I'm sure it will be a horrible sacrifice (kidding), but somehow I suspect I'll survive the trip.

Regards,
Tom
s\v Dream Catcher
www.tendervittles.net
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

Post by catalacmarc »

Quick question, are you repowering with new motors, used or reconditoned? Thanks
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

catalacMarc,

I am replacing one engine with a brand new 9.9 from Yamaha. I previously replaced both engines in 2008 and have since put 850 hours on them. The starboard engine, however, broke a wrist pin and wreaked havoc on all manner of internal drive train parts, hence the need to switch only one engine out. I'm trying to take solace in that I'll now have a plethora of spare parts to use going forward.

Regards,
Tom
s\v - Dream Catcher
www.tendervittles.net
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

Post by catalacmarc »

Friends, half way to replacing the engines. Found one lightly used trolling motor and now looking for the other. 9.9s are very common trolling units.
marc