No manual choke on 2016 Yamaha 9.9 XPB

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

No manual choke on 2016 Yamaha 9.9 XPB

Post by NautiBits »

I just replaced old T8s with manual choke with new T9.9s with no manual choke. My 2000 PDQ36 has the standard single key switches that do not have the 'push-to-choke' option.

Has anybody else dealt with this? I'm guessing the only option is to replace the old ignition switches with new ones with the 'push-to-choke' option.

The engines have their own trim switches and are slightly slimmer so they fit easier and may come out of the water just a bit more. The carb drain screw is on the side facing out so it is easier to drain without removal.

They do start fine without choke in the glorious Florida summer heat.

Thanks,

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: No manual choke on 2016 Yamaha 9.9 XPB

Post by thinwater »

Do you have something backwards? Do the new engines have manual choke, and thus require a choke adjustment during starting?

One of the best solutions is to open the engine cover. If the engine has been run with in the last 24 hours, in warm conditions, you probably don't need the choke, just pump the throttle a few times to prime. However, it always a good idea to check for water flow. This really should be done every time, like it says in the manual. There is no overheat indicator, like there is on your car, and if something plugs the water flow, your first indication will be when the engine seizes up.

I have manual choke, and I like them better than the auto choke version, Specifically (and you don't care), they are much better below 60F, down to freezing.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

2016 T9.9 XPB only has electric choke, i guess. Here is a pic.
Carb side small.jpg
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

I'm going to delay the change of ignition switch since I can manually rotate the choke into position if needed.

I'm still interested in any ideas you may have.

Thanks.
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086