Electric start

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Johnsail
deckhand
deckhand

Electric start

Post by Johnsail »

Hi All,

I just thought I would reach out for suggestions on next steps in diagnosing a problem with one of the electric starters on the 9.9.

Here's what happened:
Just prior to anchoring I put the boat into reverse for a split second, forgetting that I had elected to not lock the motors down, (will NEVER do that again!) and wound up wrapping the lift line around the starboard prop. The motor quit, but I neglected to turn off the key, and then proceeded to anchor. After running the windlass to let out chain, I was preparing the bridle when we heard a loud bang, a couple of minutes later all electronics went out. At the time of the bang and loss of power, the port motor was idling, and the electronics were still on, but there was no other power draw.
I found a 110 amp fuse in between the motor and the battery isolator that had blown, and after removing it and jumping the connection, all electronics were restored EXCEPT for the starboard starter. I will be replacing the fuse first thing on the next trip to the boat, but I can't see how that will fix the starter issue. It's hard to get a look at the back side of the key switch mechanism, so I'm wondering if there is another fuse or breaker there or possibly somewhere else in the line? Any other thoughts in figuring it out? Fortunately the pull-start does work.
Thanks,
John
Johnsail
Brown-Eyed Girl III
PDQ 32+
Hull # 025
Dutch Harbor, Jamestown, RI
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Electric start

Post by amytom »

First of all I see you list as a PDQ32+; is this Drew's old boat? Thought we were the only two with the extensions.

For the starter motor, sounds like the starter or solenoid shorted out when you had your line wrap (that happens to all of us eventually). After the new fuse is in is the starter wont work with the key switch then try using a screw driver to jump across the solenoid. Keep in mind you may see sparks and if the starter itself is shorted they may be big sparks. If it still doesn't do anything you likely need a new starter. If it does work then next check the solenoid by taking the small (brown I think) wire from the solenoid to 12V; if that works then follow back towards the key switch if it doesn't then replace solenoid.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Tom
Johnsail
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Electric start

Post by Johnsail »

Thanks Tom,

Yes this is Drew's old boat. We are actually heading to MD tomorrow to begin the trip up to RI, we kept her in MD over the winter to do a few things and to get to know her a bit before making the trip.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will let you know how it goes.

John
Johnsail
Brown-Eyed Girl III
PDQ 32+
Hull # 025
Dutch Harbor, Jamestown, RI